Design a user role for Knowledge Articles only - SCSM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to create a custom role for my analysts that only allows them to see the KA items under the Library wunderbar. It seems that no matter what I try, the groups that I create are able to see everything or nothing (as in the Library wunderbar isn't even displayed in the console).

I think that may have quite a bit to do with the MPs that the group is given access to at the beginning of the group creation, but I'm not sure. It would be nice to see a list of steps from beginning to end on how to do this properly, and in the future, this user group type should be added as a base user role in SCSM.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:16 PM

All replies

• Friday, May 17, 2013 8:04 AM
  • That procedure doesn't quite give the desired results. Since KAs are apparently treated as CIs, when you do this you also end up exposing the Service Catalog section in SCSM 2012. While I can hide the views I suppose, analysts are still going to see the Service Catalog section, it just won't expand. I'm probably being nit-picky about it, but I'd like them to only see KAs and have the ability to create new ones, and edit existing ones.

Honestly the way it's looking is that I'm going to have to open up the ability to do everything and then just hide all the views that I can. The Library section really needs to be able to be controlled with permissions better.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:00 PM
  • I got it figured out with a combination of providing access to configuration items, views and other settings.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hi Marcel, do you have a summary of steps you had to take to get these results? I'm in the need of exactly the same thing.

Thank you,

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:43 PM