none
Project without weekend/holiday RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a project file using MS Project 2013 for a bidding purpose.

I cannot assign tasks without holidays. For that reason, total number of days on the 'project summary' and on the right side (bar chart's days) are not the same.

On the Bar chart, it shows the project is 360 days long, but on the left Task list (project summary), it shows 257 days.

I have to show 360 days in both side.

How can I do that, would you please tell me?

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Answers

• Not sure to fully understand your concern. By default a standard cwlendar is applied to your project, inckuding weekend's days as non-working days. Evenif the Gantt chart bars don't show weekend with a different formatting than the workin days, it take it into acxount. Meaning that a 3days task starting on a friday will end on tuesday evenif the bar is continuous for the 5 days (3 days for the task and 2 for the weekend).

In conclusion, both side (tasks grid and Gantt chart) manage tasks duration the same way, using the project calendar.

That being said, if you want yournproject to consider 365 working days, just edit the project calendar setting saturdays and sundays as workijg days.

See reference below:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2120984&seqNum=4

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:14 PM
  • I think you may be mixing Duration with calendar days. Duration is always the number of working days. The dates on the Gantt Chart headers are obviously calendar days. So with only weekends nonworking in the Calendar, 52w or 260 working days is one year.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:41 AM

All replies

• Not sure to fully understand your concern. By default a standard cwlendar is applied to your project, inckuding weekend's days as non-working days. Evenif the Gantt chart bars don't show weekend with a different formatting than the workin days, it take it into acxount. Meaning that a 3days task starting on a friday will end on tuesday evenif the bar is continuous for the 5 days (3 days for the task and 2 for the weekend).

In conclusion, both side (tasks grid and Gantt chart) manage tasks duration the same way, using the project calendar.

That being said, if you want yournproject to consider 365 working days, just edit the project calendar setting saturdays and sundays as workijg days.

See reference below:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2120984&seqNum=4

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:14 PM
  • I think you may be mixing Duration with calendar days. Duration is always the number of working days. The dates on the Gantt Chart headers are obviously calendar days. So with only weekends nonworking in the Calendar, 52w or 260 working days is one year.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:41 AM