Routing email with specific subject content to Junk folder. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft team,

We are running Exchange 2016.

We would like to following to happen:

Any email with subject "ERROR - Eclipse eclipse" needs to be treated as spam.  Either sent to the junk mail folder or something along those lines. 

I've looked into creating a rule, but I can't find how to send the email to Junk. 

Can you let me know what the recommended solution would be?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rudy

Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:51 PM

Answers

• Create transport rule, if subject contain "XX" then modify the message properties and set SCL level to 6 which will move the email to Junk folder.

thanks

Zak

ZakBhai

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hello Microsoft team,

Any email with subject "ERROR - Eclipse eclipse" needs to be treated as spam.  Either sent to the junk mail folder or something along those lines. 

I've looked into creating a rule, but I can't find how to send the email to Junk. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rudy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/use-mail-flow-rules-to-set-the-spam-confidence-level-scl-in-messages

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Zak and Andy. 
    If you want to route the mail to Junk Email folder by transport rule, you can set the spam confidence level to 5 at least. The action specified for Spam in the applicable content filter policies will be applied. By default, the action is to send the message to the recipient's Junk Email folder.

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 10:10 AM

All replies

• Create transport rule, if subject contain "XX" then modify the message properties and set SCL level to 6 which will move the email to Junk folder.

thanks

Zak

ZakBhai

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hello Microsoft team,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rudy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/use-mail-flow-rules-to-set-the-spam-confidence-level-scl-in-messages

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Zak and Andy. 
    If you want to route the mail to Junk Email folder by transport rule, you can set the spam confidence level to 5 at least. The action specified for Spam in the applicable content filter policies will be applied. By default, the action is to send the message to the recipient's Junk Email folder.

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 10:10 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

I've followed these steps.  For some reason, the messages are still making it to the Inbox.

I've attached a screen shot of the rule.  Is there anything incorrect?  I've entered the subject with and without "quotes".

Any logs I can send to try and narrow this down?  Note that the email is being generated internally from a different server which is connecting to this server via SMTP. 

Thanks,

Rudy

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:10 PM
  • it looks fine, check the email message header and see if SCL was set to 6 by the rule.

Also make sure you do not have any rule with higher priority and have "Stop Processing More Rules" Checked.

thanks,

zak

ZakBhai

• Edited by ZakBhai Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:27 PM Some more info
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:25 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I've followed these steps.  For some reason, the messages are still making it to the Inbox.

I've attached a screen shot of the rule.  Is there anything incorrect?  I've entered the subject with and without "quotes".

Any logs I can send to try and narrow this down?  Note that the email is being generated internally from a different server which is connecting to this server via SMTP. 

Thanks,

Rudy

SCL 6 is not necessarily the level at which messages for your domain triggers SPAM. Check the article I posted to verify that. 

Also, what do you mean by "Note that the email is being generated internally from a different server "

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:43 AM
  • I've bumped SCL to "9". Things are working correctly now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks,

Rudy

Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:08 PM