French Spellchecker not Working Consistently RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all.  Can anyone help.  Having an odd problem in word 2010. I have the French language pack and proofing tools 2010 installed.  French is enabled.   

I have a word document in French and the grammar checker doesn't work correctly.  Take, for instance, this sentence:

Bien qu’elle soit illégal depuis 1999.

Which is incorrect as it is missing the extra "e" from "illégal".. so it should read:

Bien qu’elle soit illégale depuis 1999.

Now. In my document it doesn't spot this.  If I copy and paste it to a new document, it doesn't spot it.  But if I type it out... in a new document or in the existing document... it DOES spot it as incorrect. 

I have checked and rechecked the document.  I have double checked that the spellchecker is set to "French" for the text.  I have checked that he text is not marked as "Do Not Check Spelling or Grammar" and I have tried fiddling around with the options for "check grammar as you type".  But nothing makes the document recognise it.  

Anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:21 AM

All replies

• One (remote) possibility is that a lowercase "L" in "illégal" is actually the digit "1", and that your spell-check options are set to ignore words with numbers in them.

J.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Nope.  Sadly that's not it, but a good idea.  If anyone has any ideas they'd be very welcome.  

Problem is that my business is a translation agency.  We're very experienced in working with spellcheckers in foreign languages and we're aware of most of the problems and how to fix them, but this is new to us. Wouldn't mind but we have about 2.5 million words to deliver to a client next week and a surprise problem like this at the last minute is a seriously big issue.  It means lots of extra work and double/triple proofreading and lots of extra cost to avoid a quality failure.  If any Microsoft experts out there are listening: any suggestions are welcome as this is really affecting our business!

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:30 AM
  • I have now pinpointed this error a little more.  It seems that all the areas where the spell/grammar check doesn't work in the document are sentences which have an end note.  If I delete the endnote at the end of the sentence which looks like this, for instance, "(6)" the spellchecker suddenly recognises the grammar error in the sentence.  Any idea why this might be, anyone?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Try removing the parentheses but not the endnote mark itself.

J.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Yep.  As soon as I delete the parentheses word marks it as a grammar error.  So it's the parentheses and not the endnote causing it.   Does this give any further insight?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:21 PM
  • I think when the spell-checker hits a word with a parenthesis in it, it is no longer able to make sense of the rest of the sentence. The reason this happens with French and not with English is probably because Word uses different modules for spell-checking different languages. These modules are made by different companies that are specialized in one language so they may work differently under the hood.  You can see a list of the spell-checker companies in the additional copyright notices in "About Word".

J.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:37 PM