none
Project Server 2013 - using resource departments to enable or disable access to projects or projects attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know that department fields are not used as a security or for permissions and only for filtering custom fields in the project or resource level, but i was wondering if there is a few combinations that can allow the following:

1. If for example i assigned "SW" department to a user (Project manager) and i assign SW to a few projects, can it control who will be able to modify those projects?
    2. If a user without "SW" assigned as department, but other department assigned, can this user not be able to update project custom fields that has "SW" assigned to the fields no matter what assigned to the department (meaning if the project is showing the field because it is a "SW" project, and user is "HW", can it block his access to modify this field?
    3. Can department fields be used in PWA to enable/disable from users to see and update fields that are not the same defined as the same department as the user's department (Project level fields, tasks level fields with department assigned...)?

Will appreciate any ideas of customization.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

just some quick answers to your three questions:

1. Not with the department functionality. To achieve this, e.g. you can use the project permission functionality. Just navigate to the project center, select the the project (not click on the project) and navigate to the project permission button in the ribbon.
    2. and 3. : You can hide fields (=prevent from editing) in the pwa, but not in the project client. If a user is able to access the projects within the client, the enterprise custom fields can be edited.

For more information check this blog article.

Best regards,

Julian

Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:39 PM

All replies