Let all users use the same profile folder on the disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have one specific question: we would like to let all users use the same profile folder (f.ex. C:\profile) on the computer. So no matter who logs on, he gets the C:\profile folder as his profile folder, and so does every other user that logs on to the computer.

At this moment we work with mandatory profiles, but it takes too long to copy the C:\man folder to the userprofile folder (and as we use a Reborn Card (same as deepfreeze, all changes made to the computers are undone after every restart) and the first logon after a restart takes too long.

Well, we already tried a lot of things to boost the startup and logon speed, and we think, if it would be possible to assign every user the same profile folder on the disk (without the need to copy etc.), it would be a solution for us.

Thanks for any advice!

:)

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:47 AM

Answers

• Based on my experience, mandatory profile is the best practice for this situation. If the user account only works like Guset account, you can only use the guest account for all users.

Since you mentioned "the first logon after a restart takes too long", the issue may be related with the networking connection. I suggest you also ask this question in Windows Server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Miya Yao Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:36 AM

All replies

• Based on my experience, mandatory profile is the best practice for this situation. If the user account only works like Guset account, you can only use the guest account for all users.

Since you mentioned "the first logon after a restart takes too long", the issue may be related with the networking connection. I suggest you also ask this question in Windows Server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver.

Regards,

Miya

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Miya Yao

• Edited by Miya Yao Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:36 AM
  • How's it going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Did you find a solution for this? We are in the exact same boat as you guys it sounds like...

We utilize "Smartshield" - a product similar to deepfreeze - and need a solution...

Brad

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Try to look for things that generate a lot of i/o (drive seeking can make disk operations 10x slower) in procmon or xbootmgr (various 'speed loaders' like matlab and adobe).  Active setup is a problem, but there may be unexpected consequences disabling it.  Try to keep the default profile under 40 megs.  I believe a big $MFT is a problem, but am not sure about a solution.

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:38 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:36 PM