system disk problems RRS feed

• Question

• I ahve really anoying problems with my c partition where i ahev Vista saved. After i installed Vista on my previously created c partition that has 18 GB of space it had about 5 GB free. Now it has 0. I don't save any music or anything on that partition because a have 214 GB d partition for that. Temp folder has only about 4-5 MB and after cleanup (whose I now can't even use because it needs some free space) i released about 20 MB of space. Anyway it is filling and i don't know where is it comming from. I see that when i looks flv on YT or somewhere else i can watch them just that long how many space i've got. few days ago I had about 1,25 MB of space and could looked only 15 s of vid. In agony i started to delete some things i might shouldn't. Now it's written (in istallation progress) that win can't extract files. I believe that is because of lack of space or I deleted some important file. I also tried with disk managment. I can only extend d partition and can't c partition which has written (status: healthy (system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition), D has healthy(logical drive))
    Few months ago i tried to shrink both volumes. I made succes with d partition, but c although it had about 2 GB of free space couldn't have been shrinked. Afcourse i couldn't extend c partition although there was 4 GB free space cut from d disk.

I know that my message is messed up and my english is far from beauty but i really beg for help because my comp. is getting very slow.
    If someone doesn't understand anything written up there just ask.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

The 'recommended' size for the system volume is 40GB. You started with less than half of that size?

System requirements for Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

The reason that you are losing so much space is probably due to System Restore. System Restore can use up to 15% of the system hard drive space.

Here are some things you can do to immediately free up some space.

1. Temporarily turn System Restore off.

Open Control Panel. Click the Classic View in the Tasks pane.

Double click System to open.

Click 'Advanced System Settings' in the Tasks pane.

click the 'System Protection' tab.

Remove the check mark from the 'C:' drive.

In the popup window, select the 'Turn System Restore off' button.

Click Apply/OK.

This will immediately delete all of the System Restore points.

Open the System Protection tab again.

Replace the check mark in the C: drive.

Click Apply/OK.

This will turn System Restore on.

Click the Create Button to create a system restore point.

2. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories.

Right click the Command Prompt and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

In the command window, enter the following command.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=2GB

Press ENTER.

This will set the size of the System Restore to a maximum of 2GB.

(Make sure the command is entered exactly as shown)

This should free up some space and prevent System Restore from using up too much disk space.

For a long term solution to this problem, you need to resize the partition that the C: drive is on. I would make it at least 40GB or more.

I recommend getting a good third party partitioning software program that can resize the partitions without affecting the data on the drives.

I recommend Acronis Disk Director to do this. It is easy to use and very dependable.

Hard disk drive management software, partitioning manager and partition recovery utility:
    http://acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi

The 'recommended' size for the system volume is 40GB. You started with less than half of that size?

System requirements for Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

The reason that you are losing so much space is probably due to System Restore. System Restore can use up to 15% of the system hard drive space.

Here are some things you can do to immediately free up some space.

1. Temporarily turn System Restore off.

Open Control Panel. Click the Classic View in the Tasks pane.

Double click System to open.

Click 'Advanced System Settings' in the Tasks pane.

click the 'System Protection' tab.

Remove the check mark from the 'C:' drive.

In the popup window, select the 'Turn System Restore off' button.

Click Apply/OK.

This will immediately delete all of the System Restore points.

Open the System Protection tab again.

Replace the check mark in the C: drive.

Click Apply/OK.

This will turn System Restore on.

Click the Create Button to create a system restore point.

2. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories.

Right click the Command Prompt and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

In the command window, enter the following command.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=2GB

Press ENTER.

This will set the size of the System Restore to a maximum of 2GB.

(Make sure the command is entered exactly as shown)

This should free up some space and prevent System Restore from using up too much disk space.

For a long term solution to this problem, you need to resize the partition that the C: drive is on. I would make it at least 40GB or more.

I recommend getting a good third party partitioning software program that can resize the partitions without affecting the data on the drives.

I recommend Acronis Disk Director to do this. It is easy to use and very dependable.

Hard disk drive management software, partitioning manager and partition recovery utility:
    http://acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:07 PM

• Hi

Thank you for that advice. I've done everything only command prompt couldn't be done. So command can be successful it requires at least 300 MB of free space which I don't have. I bought that computer with partition made in 18 GB so I couldn't help. Currently I'm downloading  Acronis *** creator and i try to extend size of c partition, but i hope that installation won't make me problems. (extraction is the problem, must be because of lack of space)

Anyway thank you for help this is first usable advice i got in 1 month of asking my friends and local forums
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi

Your welcome, Im glad this helped.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:25 PM