none
PDF Indexing in Sharepoint Lists with Outlook 2007 (using Microsoft BPOS) not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We use PDF Indexing with all our scanned documents in our company. We send those PDF to Sharepoint Online sites and then each user can access them through SharePoint Lists in their Outlook (2007) on Windows 7 computers.

Everything works fine except searching content from the pdf files in outlook. If we save the file locally on our desktop and then use Windows 7 search engine, it works fine.

If we use the search engine from outlook or the Windows 7 engine to search pdf content in outlook then it doesn't work. 

Can you help me with this ?

Thanks

Pierre

Monday, December 20, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• Pierceval, this sounds like an Outlook-specific issue.  I would highly recommend checking the Outlook forum for this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/outlook/threads

Basically, from what I gather you are saying, you are having issues with Outlook 2007 indexing pdf attachments for an attached SharePoint List.  If this is not the case, please clarify at which stage the indexing/search is not functioning properly.  Can you also confirm which version of Windows Desktop Search is installed?  I believe Windows 7 comes with 3.0.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:57 AM

All replies

• We ran into the same thing. SharePoint won't index PDFs (or anything else) larger than a certain threshold. I forget what that is, but I want to say around 75mb.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Pierceval, this sounds like an Outlook-specific issue.  I would highly recommend checking the Outlook forum for this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/outlook/threads

Basically, from what I gather you are saying, you are having issues with Outlook 2007 indexing pdf attachments for an attached SharePoint List.  If this is not the case, please clarify at which stage the indexing/search is not functioning properly.  Can you also confirm which version of Windows Desktop Search is installed?  I believe Windows 7 comes with 3.0.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:57 AM