Intermittent failure connecting to user home folder RRS feed

• Question

• All of our AD domain user accounts connect to a home folder. Intermittently the home folder fails to connect. The problem is isolated to Dell Latitude 2100 computers when the user logs on via the wireless network. 

Nothing is standing out in the application/system logs. I analyzed the logon process with procmon.exe and couldn't find anything suspicious.

Ran a continuous ping while testing logons. On a successful logon, ping requests reply almost immediately after entering user creds. On an unsuccessful (no home folder) logon, the ping requests timeout until the desktop is almost up. 

Had my network admin check auth requests on RADIUS server, DCs and fileserver at time of failure. All communication successful except for fileserver.

We've tried to update the WNIC driver, disabling 3rd party applications and services running at logon, even installing a clean OS. 

Not sure which way to go next. Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated!

-- Brett
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If it works well when wired, the problem may related with the wireless. Please check the wireless signal is stable, also check the router, there may be some firewall has been set in the router.

Furthermore, if you have tried with firewall disable or antivirus uninstalled, please let me know.

PS: Did the same issue occur with other type of machine using wireless?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, June 24, 2011 7:09 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

“The problem is isolated to Dell Latitude 2100 computers when the user logs on via the wireless network” 

Please bypass wireless, use cable connect network to see if the same issue occurs. If the issue doesn’t occur with wired connection, the issue may related with wireless card. Reinstall wireless card driver and update BIOS to the latest version.

If the issue persists, logon with Clean Boot,  temporally disable firewall and disable IPv6 for test.

Hope that helps.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Leo. 

Wired: home share connects successfully

Updated WNIC driver and latest BIOS: home share problem intermittent 

Clean boot: home share problem intermittent

IPv6 disabled: home share problem intermittent

I'm currently testing logons with the Windows firewall disabled and the antivirus client uninstalled. I'll post again with the results.

-- Brett
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

If it works well when wired, the problem may related with the wireless. Please check the wireless signal is stable, also check the router, there may be some firewall has been set in the router.

Furthermore, if you have tried with firewall disable or antivirus uninstalled, please let me know.

PS: Did the same issue occur with other type of machine using wireless?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, June 24, 2011 7:09 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Did your issue solved? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thanks.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Friday, June 24, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Sorry for the lack of response. I'm not receiving email alerts when the thread is updated. I'll have to fix that.

Anyway, the root cause of the problem has still not been identified. To throw another variable into the equation, I've reproduced the problem on the Dell Latitude 2110 which uses a different driver. 

To workaround this issue, I plan write a script to ensure the connection to the home folder. I'll keep you posted if I run into any problems with this approach.

Thanks for your help! 

-- Brett
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:59 PM
  • I'm having same problem with an HP ProBook 6550b... via wireless connection the home folder does not appear.  I can net use it and it appears but it will not do it on it's own.  Please let me know if you find a solution.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:41 PM
  • We have the same issue on Windows 7 HP laptops. Plugged into the network we have no issues. Using wireless shows the drives and if they are connected to the network any drives mapped by GP works but the home directory will not. If I find a resolution out there that works I will post it here. Hope someone finds a solution.

Help
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:44 PM
  • I know it's been a while, but we're STILL having this problem. 

I have a work around script that created the %homefolder% environment variable and connected to the users home folder. The root cause in our case seems to be the user is deauth'ed almost immediately after auth, right in the middle of the logon process.

We use machine and user 802.1X authentication on Aruba wireless controllers.  

-- Brett

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:58 PM
  • We disabled Client for NFS and sure group policy wireless settings are set to authenticate user and computer.

Removing NFS in the add/remove programs in Windows 7 worked for us.

Help

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:17 PM