none
Rebuilt Secondary DPM 2010 server, now get DCOM errors on clients RRS feed

  • Question

  • I had a hard crash of the secondary server and had to completely rebuild it (same hardware, new hard drives). The data disk array was untouched. Server has the same name as it did originally and was rejoined to the domain without deleting or resetting the computer account in AD.

    When I started up DPM 2010 again on the secondary server, it sees the primary server and status is OK. It sees all the protection groups and recovery points. I can run synchronization and backup jobs, but when I try to modify space allocation I get an error 33 stating that it couldn't communicate with the agent.

    "DPM failed to communicate with the protection agent on <SECONDARY DPM 2010 SERVER> because the agent is not responding. (ID 43 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)"

    On the client (server being backed up) I see a DPMRA event 84:

    "A DPM agent failed to communicate with the DPM service on dpmsecondary.domain because access is denied. Make sure that dpmsecondary.domain has DCOM launch and access permissions for the computer running the DPM agent (Error code: 0x80070005, full name: dpmsecondary.domain)."

    Ping to the short name and fqdn works from one machine to the other. I tried adding the dpm server as a local administrator on the client and that didn't work either.

    How can I get them talking again?


    • Edited by Robert Tuck Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:10 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:09 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    On the secondary DPM Server, re-install the agent on the primary DPM server again. That should add dcom permissons for the protected servers on the secondary DPM server.  If that does not help, switch protection for one of the protected servers and that will allow you to troubleshoot any agent problems between secondary and switched protected server.  You can then use http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/02/06/data-protection-manager-agent-network-troubleshooting.aspx to troublshoot.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:25 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the reply - I'll check into it and let you know.

    I've always had trouble getting the agent to install on the primary because it thinks it already has it.

    Friday, September 28, 2012 11:51 PM
  • It seems to have resolved itself after I ran a dpmsync.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:23 AM