none
Specify replica storage location RRS feed

• Question

• Using SCDPM 2016 version 5.0.457.0, I have a storage pool that consists of an external drive array connected over iSCSI. I've added a second drive array that is internal direct attached storage:

I'd like to add a new protection group and specifically use the second direct attached storage array (Disk 2), but I don't seem to have that option. 

I read that you can specify a "Custom Volume", but that option isn't available to me when setting up the Protection Group:

I also tried moving an existing protected data source to the new drive array, but don't have that option either:

Is my problem that the new drive array is in the same storage pool as the old array? Can I create a 2nd storage pool and add the drive array there? 

Shaun

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaun,

As Leon stated, since you are on legacy storage (IE: Running DPM 2016 on Windows 2012 R2 server) you will not be able to use the "Move disk storage" option.  You will need to the DPM powershell command script called MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 to migrate a data source from one disk to another.

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM

Alternately - there is a GUI version available.

Migrate DPM Disk or Datasource with GUI

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Has your DPM 2016 been upgraded from a previous version?

The "Move disk storage" option is only supported when moving from one Modern Backup Storage (MBS) volume to another MBS volume.

If you have for example upgraded from a previous DPM version and kept the storage as it was (i.e. not re-creating it by removing, re-formatting and re-adding it to DPM), then the storage will not be using the MBS feature, and can therefore not be moved. Because all the new storage you add to DPM 2016 will benefit from the MBS feature.

When you create a new protection group you can select to which volume the backup will go to:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 5:21 AM
  • We've not upgraded from a previous version. 

The screenshot I shared was from the New Protection Group wizard...I'm not able to choose a custom volume from there when creating a new protection group. 

What version of DPM are you using there? Your screenshot looks different from mine, I don't have the "Available target disk storage" section in my version, just a pie graph of the total pool storage:

Shaun

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:26 PM
  • DPM 2016 with Update Rollup 8, it looks the same in DPM 2019.

Which Windows Server version are you running your DPM server on?

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:35 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

As Leon stated, since you are on legacy storage (IE: Running DPM 2016 on Windows 2012 R2 server) you will not be able to use the "Move disk storage" option.  You will need to the DPM powershell command script called MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 to migrate a data source from one disk to another.

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM

Alternately - there is a GUI version available.

Migrate DPM Disk or Datasource with GUI

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:37 PM
  • I see...we are running on Server 2012 R2. Is that why the "Custom Volumes" option is not available either? 

Our original storage is near capacity, which is why I've added the secondary storage and would like to point one of our protection groups to that storage. It sounds like the 'MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM" script is the way to go? 

Shaun

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:44 PM
  • Yes, MBS is enabled automatically when you're running at least DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016. If DPM is running on a version of Windows Server older than Windows Server 2016, it doesn't use MBS.

If you want to move the backup data to another disk, you will need to use one of the methods Mike provided.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I was able to get the replicas moved using the MigrateDatasource script. One follow-up to that...

There hasn't been any space freed up on the original disk array according to the storage details in the DPM Management pane. Do I need to take additional steps to free up that space? Or will it be reclaimed once all of the oldest replicas have expired? 

Shaun

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:40 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

The space will not be reclaimed until all the older recovery points expire that were using the original storage.

You can either reduce the retention period for the protection group to help expire them faster, or if that is not desirable you can delete them manually using powershell.

Delete them oldest to newest.

The important thing is the index number X in  $pg[X] is zero based, so keep that in mind when performing the commands, 

$pg = get-protectiongroup (&hostname)
    $pg
    $ds = get-datasource $pg[Zero-based-PG_index_number]
    $ds
    $rp = get-recoverypoint $ds[Zero-based-DS_index_number]
    $rp
    Remove-recoverypoint $rp[Zero-based-RP_index_number}

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:13 AM