locked
RDP connection causing high CPU/Mem usage RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    we are encountering a strange problem with three laptops users trying to use UAG to connect to Remote Desktop Full Sessions or RemoteApps. When they start up the application they enter their credentials and then the RDP clients run indefinitly using one core fully and consuming more and more RAM. All three laptops are joined to the same domain as UAG and the RDS.

    If the laptops are inside the network they can connect to the RDP server without any problems and they can also connect to RDS through and RD Gateway published by a different TMG.

    The laptops are running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1 32bit.

    A number of other computers can use the portal without any problems whatsoever.

    I hope anyone can help me with this problem, as I am running out of ideas and there is nothing like this mentioned on the Internet besides connections to Windows 2000 and USB audio devices which both do not apply in this case.

    Thank you

    Sascha

     

    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

  • Hello,

    just to close this thread.

    Together with PSS we found out that the issue is caused by mstsc.exe when on the client computer a user-level GPO is making changes to the registry key key HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services. In our case we set authorized certificates.

    It does not happen if settings are made on a machine-level.

    Sascha

    • Marked as answer by Sascha Stops Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

  • I remember something about the Microsoft Forefront UAG Quarantine Enforcement Client process using high CPU like that; I believe a fix for this is planned in the next UAG update...

    Cheers

    JJ


    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hello,

    it is actually the mstsc.exe process that is running wild. It only affects two laptops at this time.

    The only noticable difference to other client PCs is that those two are joined to the same domain as UAG and RDS.

    Regards

    Sascha

    Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Hello,

    it is actually the mstsc.exe process that is running wild. It only affects two laptops at this time.

    The only noticable difference to other client PCs is that those two are joined to the same domain as UAG and RDS.

    Regards

    Sascha


    Ok, different issue :)
    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hello,

    just to close this thread.

    Together with PSS we found out that the issue is caused by mstsc.exe when on the client computer a user-level GPO is making changes to the registry key key HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services. In our case we set authorized certificates.

    It does not happen if settings are made on a machine-level.

    Sascha

    • Marked as answer by Sascha Stops Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:01 PM