RAID1 (mirroring) with Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to set up RAID1 with Vista ultimate?  (This used to be quite easy with Win2K and Win XP.)

I could not find any options on the Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management screens.  Options to make disk "Dynamic", unclear what that really means.  nothing on the new volume wizzard.

Nothing in the help, but the help seems to be much less helpful than XP.  Google could not find anything on Vista RAID under msdn.microsoft.com, which was surprising.

So went to DiskPart.  Much easier to use than the GUI.

Select Volume 1

Add Disk 1  (the spare one)

Results in: "The command you selected is not available with this version of Windows".

I have an ASUS board with NVidia 430 chip set, MegaTrends bios, two Western Digital 320 gig drives.

There is vague talk on the web about a need for new drivers, needing to cut a physical floppy disk (and thus by a floppy disk drive just to install Vista) etc.  Certainly enabling the Bios raid causes Vista to fail. 

Attempts to update the drivers on the installed Vista failed.  (Used apparently valid drivers from NVidia downloaded from  http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-and-nforce4-sataraid-an-installation-guide-vt66299.html.  Vista  update driver GUI does not recognize them?)

These days Mirroring is a pretty basic technology, if it is not possible that should be clearly stated, if it is then how.  Should not need to hunt around scratchy third party notes on the web.

Thanks,

Anthony

Friday, April 4, 2008 8:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, April 4, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I think that I agree, mirroring is just not possible with Vista unless you put a lot of time into dubious low level drivers.  Pity, used to work pretty well under previous versions of Windows.  Maybe some other operating system will support it better.

I had to hunt the web just to get Ping working on Vista.  (You need to create a new fire wall rule!)

How much protection does Mirroring really give you?  Not that much, but for the $50 for a second drive why wouldn't you, provided that the O/S supports it.

Anthony

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:45 AM