Some approved updates are not downloading RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS will not download a few approved updates as shown below.  I am unable to find any indication of which updates are affected or why they are not downloading.  Can anyone tell me how to diagnose and correct this problem?

Running WSUS 3.0 on Server 2012 R2

- Michael Faklis

Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:57 PM

Answers

• perhaps you could try bitsadmin [deprecated but it still works] or the powershell BITS cmdlets, to see if there are lots of large BITS transfers underway, e.g., if it's choking on the download of too many Win10 upgrade images at once.

You could suspend those jobs (select them based on their very large size), and let some other jobs come through?

you may need to use psexec -i -s cmd, to be able to tinker with the SYSTEM-owned BITS jobs (I find I need to do that when I want to kill WU jobs)

it sounds like your server is choking on too many big concurrent downloads, and BITS will try to limit the impact to other processes/traffic by default.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Friday, February 5, 2016 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:10 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:35 AM

All replies

• Running WSUS 3.0 on Server 2012 R2

[minor correction]
    Actually it's WSUS 6.3.9600.16384 (as shown in your screen shot).
    WS2012/WS2012R2 does not run WSUS 3.0 at all, it's mostly known as v4.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:48 PM
  • WSUS will not download a few approved updates as shown below.  I am unable to find any indication of which updates are affected or why they are not downloading.  Can anyone tell me how to diagnose and correct this problem?

your screenshot shows:

Download Status:
    - Updates needing files = 19
    - Downloaded 53,076.32MB of 93,605.21MB

Server Statistics:
    - Unapproved Updates = 77114

So your WSUS has downloaded 53GB but still needs to download a further 40GB to satisfy the remaining 19 updates.
    Have you enabled "too much" on your server? Those quantities are crazy/huge.

Check the logs (windows events and also WSUS logfiles @ c:\program files\update services\logs\ )

Is the "downloaded xxx of yyy" not changing for you?

Have you enabled Win10 upgrades on this server? Those are particularly large filesets, and, there has been some change/confusion about those in particular..

Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:54 PM
  • The WSUS folder is 478 gb.

The console now shows 65,069.94 mb of 93,605.21 mb downloaded, so it appears it is actually downloading although at a dead slow pace.  So slow, I thought it was dead in the water.

I have enabled Win10 upgrades and I am confused as to what if any of the scores of 1511 updates are desirable.  I upgraded my workstation to Win10 Pro x64, but I had so many problems when 1511 was let loose, I reverted back to Win 8.1 Pro x64.  I am hesitant to try Win10 again until the dust settles and I hear that 1511 is fixed.  Whenever that becomes reality, I don't want to install the bad 1511 upgrades again.

Back to the problem at hand, I am using the Windows Internal Database for WSUS and I have considered migrating WSUS to SQL Server 2015.  What I really need is to determine why the WSUS download performance hit the wall.

- Michael Faklis

Monday, February 1, 2016 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

If WSUS fails to download any update, it will log the detail error information in Event 364. Please check if there is any Event 364 on the WSUS server.

>>What I really need is to determine why the WSUS download performance hit the wall.

WSUS uses BITS to download the updates. It will use the idle bandwidth to download the updates.(Background mode)

To increase the download speed, please may try the trick below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msaad/archive/2010/09/24/increase-wsus-3-updates-download-speed.aspx

Note: WSUS changed the named pipe from Windows Server 2012. The new named pipe of SUSDB is \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 1, 2016 5:22 AM
  • I was unable to take advantage of the tip because I installed WSUS to use WID.  "%programfiles%\Update Services\Setup\ExecuteSQL.exe" is not on my server.

In TechNet "Migrate from Windows Internal Database to SQL Server" appears to simply reassign the WSUS WID database to SQL Server.  It doesn't do a reinstall that might install "%programfiles%\Update Services\Setup\ExecuteSQL.exe".

I will search for how to raise the foreground priority of BITS.

- Michael Faklis

Monday, February 1, 2016 8:35 PM
  • perhaps you could try bitsadmin [deprecated but it still works] or the powershell BITS cmdlets, to see if there are lots of large BITS transfers underway, e.g., if it's choking on the download of too many Win10 upgrade images at once.

You could suspend those jobs (select them based on their very large size), and let some other jobs come through?

you may need to use psexec -i -s cmd, to be able to tinker with the SYSTEM-owned BITS jobs (I find I need to do that when I want to kill WU jobs)

it sounds like your server is choking on too many big concurrent downloads, and BITS will try to limit the impact to other processes/traffic by default.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Friday, February 5, 2016 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:10 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

>>I was unable to take advantage of the tip because I installed WSUS to use WID.  "%programfiles%\Update Services\Setup\ExecuteSQL.exe" is not on my server.

To download the SQL command line tool, please click the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=36433

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:56 AM