none
Agent backups of VMware VM's fail in DPM2010. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer.

Using DPM 2010 (Update 1), I need to be able to protect some VMware viritual machines, specifically the system state. I'm using a standard agent backup, and the agent has installed fine on the VM. It's added to DPM, and has a state of 'OK'.

If I add the VM to a protection group, the correct space for the backup is calculated ok, and it starts the initial replica. After about 20s it stops with a replica inconsistent error, and has only actually processed a few MB according to the stats. Tried it a few times now, and also with turning off BMR in the backup. No change.

Odd thing is, this worked fine in DPM2007. Are MS specifically excluding VMware VM's from DPM2010? Is there a documented way to backup VMware VM's in DPM2010? My physical hosts are working fine.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can try to use Evault for DPM! : http://www.i365.com/products/data-backup-software/microsoft-backup-recovery/index.html

They have a virtual solution so you won't have to buy their appliance.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Thanks. From this reply, are you implying that DPM2010 no longer supports agent backups of VMware VM's, where as I said, DPM2007 had no problems with this?
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:52 AM