Message Preview in Mac Outlook -- Can it show more than 1 line? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of our users is insisting that his Mac Outlook 2016 client had been able to show two lines of text in the message list in Outlook when he had the Reading Pane displayed and the Message Preview active. He said it "just changed" in the last day or two, and now only displays one line of text in the message preview.

I know that the Windows version of Outlook 2016 lets you choose the number of lines to display in the Message Preview. The Message Preview button is a drop-down list that lets you select 1, 2, 3, or 4 lines of text. I have never seen that on the Mac, and from what I can find, it's not supported.

Am I just missing something? Is it possible for the Message Preview to show more than 1 lines of text? Did something change in a recent build of Mac Outlook 2016 that would have taken this feature away?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

As far as I know, the Message Preview button in the Organize ribbon only allows us to toggle on or off a one-line preview of the email in the Message list. 

According to the Outlook section in this page, "the new message preview gives you the first sentence of an email just below the subject line, so you can quickly decide if you want to read it now or come back later". 

I also read through the release notes of recent updates for Office 2016 for Mac, but didn't find any clues about change in this feature.

Hope the above information can be helpful. 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:59 AM