none
Windows 10 - Log Off GP

Question

• Hi All...

I have a domain level Group Policy to force computers to log off at 7pm each night. I'm noticing on my Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB computers that I'm getting an error message in the Event Viewer ( Application ) that "The task definition uses a deprecated feature"

Here is the way I have my GP setup 

Is there another way that I'm supposed to create this GP to work with Windows 10 Enterprise computers?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Thanks... Frank

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank,
    The action Display a message preference item which is formerly available in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been deprecated from Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later. If you attempt to apply the Display a message preference item, nothing will happen and you will see the error message as you posted.
    According to your screenshot, please check if task to log off user works successfully on Windows 10 computer. It is possible that only the message is not displayed. You could also separate task to log off into another GPO, and then apply them to see if it works.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:19 AM
  • > been deprecated, is there another way of warning the user a few minutes
    > prior to the actual log off that it's going to happen? I wouldn't want

Little script can do :)

vbscript: wscript.Echo "you will be signed out in about 5 minutes. Save
    your work now"

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank,
    The action Display a message preference item which is formerly available in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been deprecated from Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later. If you attempt to apply the Display a message preference item, nothing will happen and you will see the error message as you posted.
    According to your screenshot, please check if task to log off user works successfully on Windows 10 computer. It is possible that only the message is not displayed. You could also separate task to log off into another GPO, and then apply them to see if it works.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:19 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Regards,
    Wendy

Hi Wendy...

Thanks for the response... I appreciate it :) 

Removing the Display message has removed the error event. Since that has been deprecated, is there another way of warning the user a few minutes prior to the actual log off that it's going to happen? I wouldn't want users surprised by it. 

Thanks... Frank

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi Frank - can you possible send me better screen shots of your GPO above?  Its blurry for me to follow. thanks!
    Friday, May 20, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Hi Frank - can you possible send me better screen shots of your GPO above?  Its blurry for me to follow. thanks!

Hi StephanieMD...

It might be a little bit of a pain, but if you simply right click on the any of the images and choose "Open Image in New Tab" the image will open in full resolution. Hope that helps and gives you some ideas for me :) 

Thanks...

Thanks... Frank

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:22 PM
  • > been deprecated, is there another way of warning the user a few minutes
    > prior to the actual log off that it's going to happen? I wouldn't want

Little script can do :)

vbscript: wscript.Echo "you will be signed out in about 5 minutes. Save
    your work now"

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:02 AM

Hi Wendy...

Thanks for the response... I appreciate it :) 

Removing the Display message has removed the error event. Since that has been deprecated, is there another way of warning the user a few minutes prior to the actual log off that it's going to happen? I wouldn't want users surprised by it. 

Thanks... Frank

Hi Frank,

++ Suggestion.

Microsoft has removed the ability to display message and send email using Task Scheduler in Windows 8. However,  you can try the below link to achieve your needs.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-create-tasks-to-display-messages-in-windows-8-task-scheduler/

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 11:20 AM