none
Help mounting any wim file in recovery environment or Windows PE..Windows 7 ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• So a week or so ago I was trying to clean up my Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 x64 and I noticed that the boot disk was not listed as disk 0. I believe it was showing up as disk 4. I was having to manually set bios to boot to the correct disk every single time. On my computer I do that by pressing either f2 or delete or f8 to get to the boot selection menu (asus a78m-a mobo, AMD fm2+ A10-7850k Kaveri 4 core CPU). So I shut down the computer and moved the disk to the correct sata port and tried to reboot. Now getting a stop 7b BSOD. Booted into recovery and despite changing the sata port it's still showing up as disk Was able to get it to boot after running EasyRE automated recovery x3 and then rebooting to the Windows 7 install disk and running startup repair x3.

So I thought was a problem with the AMD sata driver (ahci) so the one time I was able to reboot I went to AMD and downloaded and installed the latest driver (15.7 at that time I think) and the AMD chipset drivers that were available on AMD.com. Now every time I try to boot the Windows 7 splash screen comes up and as soon as the colored gem things start to come up the computer flashes to black then reboots. Same thing in every available f8 advanced boot option. Safemode not working in any setting. Code is a stop 7 B code but the specific codes don't seem to make sense. I'd have to check it again to post the codes but I cant seem to find out which driver is actually the problem. SFC comes back with no problems, same for checkdisk. Any ideas? i've about tried everything I can find online to fix it and MS Support is pretty useless. I did have restore points but now it's saying that no restore points found and when I attempted to recover by applying the saved system image it just rawed out the drive. I was able to recover the partition using a combo of Minitool partition wizard and easeus partition master but still getting the same code. Tried booting to Win 7 install dvd and tried to add the drivers that were working before but cannot get it to fix. Wanted to try to mount then repair from recovery using imagex or dism. But as with my other computer running Win 10 I cannot for the life of me get a wim file to mount in Windows PE or in the recovery environment.

Everytime it says it is mounting the wim then gets to 100% and then fails with error 5 access denied. Getting the same error running DISM or Imagex. Tried running from various folder start points (system32, winsxs, etc) but doesnt seem to matter. I didn't have any anti-virus installed (only articles I see online say something about Macafee but Ive never had that). Startup repair and everything else not working. I also tried every configuration with the wim files and mount directories, I took ownership of files and folder and tried various ICACLS commands but no go. Tried different filesystems for both the wim file and mount dir but still get same errors. Did it from WAIK cmd prompt, and everything else was tried.  Also tried booting to various Windows OS version disks (8.1, Server 2012R2, and 10) to see if that made running DISM easier but always the same error.

I have Windows 10 on my other computer and it crashed as well after a botched Windows Update and getting the same error 5 access denied error anytime I try to mount a wim file. The Win 7 doesn't seem to be creating the logs correctly and the DISM log doesn't really give much help.

any tips or ideas to get the wim files to mount with this error happening?

I'll have to check the logs when I get home to get the specific error but I called msft over the weekend and their answer desk people are worse than ever. I think it ended in 75 if I remember. Besides every question I ask being way over their heads they don't even seem to know the difference in these errors and Windows update errors and my call got nowhere and eventually they hung up on me like 5 times. One guy finally said that they are not even trained to fix the problems and can only help wipe the disk and do a clean reinstall. Which I've done like 10 times before and eventually I always seem to get to a point just like this. Getting tired of constantly losing my data.

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems you did some changes with booting disk in BIOS. I infer the issue caused by the boot disk and sata port. I suggest you change the boot disk settings and sata port back, then check the issue again. If you are not able to change it back, you would better contact the manufacturer for help.

If it doesn’t work after you change the settings back, have you tried the inplace upgrade installation to troubleshoot the issue? If you haven’t tried, I suggest you follow the steps in the link below to perform an inplace upgrade installation. Although the upgrade install process will save your data theoretically, I suggest you would better backup your files which are on C drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

For the BOSD issue, we consider it occurred due to you changed sata port. You can refer the link below to know more information about the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems you did some changes with booting disk in BIOS. I infer the issue caused by the boot disk and sata port. I suggest you change the boot disk settings and sata port back, then check the issue again. If you are not able to change it back, you would better contact the manufacturer for help.

If it doesn’t work after you change the settings back, have you tried the inplace upgrade installation to troubleshoot the issue? If you haven’t tried, I suggest you follow the steps in the link below to perform an inplace upgrade installation. Although the upgrade install process will save your data theoretically, I suggest you would better backup your files which are on C drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

For the BOSD issue, we consider it occurred due to you changed sata port. You can refer the link below to know more information about the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:28 AM
  • I'll mark it mostly the answer. Can't really do a repair in place install if it won't boot. Ended up Just installing over it without erasing, which leaves me with Windows.old and bunch of user files that won't move or Delete. I have to say that Windows in way behind Apple in repairing a non booting system. There has to be a way For Windows to fix an install without erasing or this way. I've never understood the logic or purpose in having to be able to Boot to do a repair installation. Especially considering how fragile the Windows boot loader system is. Looks like that wasn't addressed At all in Win 10 and is actually much worse. With no dual boot or myself making any changes, just normal shutdown it is Failing to boot well over 50 percent of the time. The Windows 7 boot repair is vastly superior except for maybe the additional DISM functions,etc. which if added to Win 7 would have been a winner.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:30 AM