USB 3.0 slower than on other systems RRS feed

• Question

• I have tested SSD Samsung 850 connected to usb 3.0 on Fujitsu P910 and P920 workstation with Windows 7 and I got max 250-300MB/s speeds . The same disk connected to SATA is getting around 550MB/s.

I tried to connect the same disk via USB 3.0 on MacBook pro with ElCapitan and I got 450MB/s on USB 3.0

Where is the problem? Is the Fujitsu hardware, drivers making problems.

Tested also on Gigabyte x79s-UD5 mainboard  on Windows 10 1709 and it getting the same no more than 300MB/s on USB 3.0

Does  Mac OS  has better USB implementation?

Any suggestion are welcome.

/Thanks

Rafael

Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Rafael,

According to your description, I don't know if you have checked or updated the USB driver on windows side. If the USB3.0 driver hasn’t been installed or has broken, it should be uninstalled and re-installed. I suggest you install the latest version of the motherboard chipset and AHCI driver.
    Meanwhile, we can improve the performance by changing the policies in the properties of the USB 3.0 driver. But not all USB 3.0 support the features of the policies and please note the description of them.
    Please feel free for more details and assistance.

Beat Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:10 AM
  • USB v2.0 or v3.0 both run with the pc hardware ChipSet Software/Driver..Also,SSD is a lot slower than SATA HDs,at least the earlier SSD,newer SSD HDs are faster/more reliable than SATA,or the 7200R.P.M. type.Also,the HD spped setting is controllered thru the MB storage adapter,Intel uses Matrix Storage software/driver,or Intel Storage.

If Win 10,the pc mfg has the latest,or the pc hardware mfg.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions//cc751291(v=technet.10)

The above Microsoft/TechNet link gets you performance data with HDs/Performance,it's a classic document all should read....

Thursday, December 20, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Yes, we tried both fujitsu drivers and Intel drivers, it did not made any big difference. After updating to the newest Intel drivers actually transfer speed was a bit slower than with older ones.

Regards

Rafael

Friday, December 21, 2018 2:34 PM