How can I change the width of a column in a list of sharepoint 2010 ?

• How do I change the column width in sharepoint 2010 so the data displays properly in standard view?

I open the list View in sharepoint designer,and change the width of the <td> ,but ,when I preview ,the column width don't change. what should I do?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:31 AM One question mark in a Title is enough.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:31 AM (7) 2010 questions all go to a suitable 2010 forum. A suitable 2010 forum is not one with "Pre-SharePoint 2010" in the Title (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Could you please let me know why do you want to adjust the column width. In SharePoint 2010 list standard view, it is adjusted automatically according to your text width. I typed in a long sentence, the column is expanded so that the whole sentence is displayed.

Friday, July 02, 2010 9:50 AM
  • I have two columns,Both of they have a long content, but one is very wide, another one is very narrow,so I want to adjust it . can you give me some suggestion.

Friday, July 09, 2010 5:00 AM
  • While they may auto adjust to what it thinks is a correct width, far too often it allocates way too much room and that causes lists with 4 columns to be much longer than they need to be and without the ability to adjust them, lists look strange. is an example of the first column having been allocated too much room.

Friday, July 09, 2010 3:31 PM
  • SharePoint Designer will allow you to customize column widths by customizing the XSLT.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:57 PM
  • I am experiencing this exact same problem and have tried everything suggested here. 

Sharepoint Designer has saved shows in Design View that I have altered the column width but the view my browser remains unchanged...

Has any one any further suggestions?

Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:04 AM