Lync Server & Polycom Handsets RRS feed

• Question

• We have installed a Lync server in our local network. We are able to login to the server on our local network & using our VPN. We have no other servers (edge, mediation, director etc) setup.

We need to carry out some tests using Lync enabled polycom handsets. How do I get these devices to logon or connect to our server. Please guide us,

Thank You & Kind Regards

Philip

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Which model devices are you using?  You don't need to go through the DHCP configuration detailed in my article that Mark posted for most of the phones to work on the internal network provided that you can USB tether them to a Windows Lync client (CX600, CX3000).

See this article for more details on the simplest way to get the phones working:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2010/12/externally-provisioning-lync-phone-edition-3

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, February 24, 2012 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, February 27, 2012 6:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:41 PM

All replies

• We have setup the Lync server on our network, this is our test lab before the full deployment of the UCS. We only have the lync server with no other servers (edge, mediation, director etc) setup.

We can login into our Lync clients via this Lync Server.

We need to carry out some tests with our Lync Enabled Polycom devices.

Please explain to me how can I carry out this test, what should I install or setup to successfully connect my polycom device to my lync server.

Thank You & Kind Regards

Philip

• Merged by Jeff SchertzMVP Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:20 PM Duplicate Post
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:40 AM
  • If you want to use Polycom Phones from the internet then you realy require an EDGE Server.
    There is no other way

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Internally you must make sure that you have correctly configured the required DNS/DHCP options for the phones.

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:18 PM
  • No I do not want to use the polycom phones from the internet. only use the polycom phones within our local network & vpn.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Have a look at this guide what can help you build, verify and deploy phones inyour organization:

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/12/configuring-lync-server-for-phone-edition-devices/

Best regards,
    Mark Scholman.
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Follow me on Twitter
    My Blog:TechMark's Blog

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Yes, unfortunately this is the only way you can do that. Yes, it is little bit technical. Yes, you need to configure DHCP. This is probably the most complex step of them all, but once you done all these steps, phones will connect and login like a charm.

I actually used this article exactly to configure my AD/Lync environment to support Lync phone edition (i.e. Lync phones). Make sure that your DNS is working fine, and you can resolve all names of your Lync servers. If you plan to have some older (but still top-of-the-line) phones like Polycom CX700, make sure that you have USUPDATES and UCUPDATES-R2 records in both WINS and DNS as older version of firmware in order to get updates from Lync server uses old records.

You can read my original story: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/d17f987d-c8fb-49ac-987f-703363fba305

If you need any further assitance please let us know. This should not be an issue unless you are not technical at all, then you may need somebody's help.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Which model devices are you using?  You don't need to go through the DHCP configuration detailed in my article that Mark posted for most of the phones to work on the internal network provided that you can USB tether them to a Windows Lync client (CX600, CX3000).

See this article for more details on the simplest way to get the phones working:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2010/12/externally-provisioning-lync-phone-edition-3

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, February 24, 2012 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, February 27, 2012 6:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:41 PM
  • That is probably true, but in many cases you may want to make sure that *any* Lync phone (and I'm obviously talking about IP phones) will work seamlessly regardless whether or not computer with USB port is available, connecting from LAN or from Internet, and whether using Tanjay or newer phones. That was my point. For example in my environment *ANY* lync work regardless of anything else. Even if I get Tanjay Polycom CX700 with antique version 1.0 of firmware and connect it from home (i.e. via Internet) the phone will discover Lync and auto-update to latest version automatically. This is what I'm talking about. DHCP is playing crucial role here I'm sure. SRV records are also important. And of course proper implementation of Lync, all DNS stuff etc. all will contribute to smotth and running well Lync infrastructure.

I have a question to Polycom though: I love CX700, but obviously it is missing some cool features that CX600 has, but at the same time I don't like CX600 because it is not as good as CX700. No big screen, no rotational touchpad, no "CX700" charm that was created with CX700 four years ago. I wish it was re-designed CX700 rather then introducing new CX600 with very funny buttons and "not as good as CX700 design"... I wish we could see CX800 with all cool features like CX700 just up-to-speed with Lync 2010 features...

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:57 AM