Skype for Business client for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I have small virtual environment setup - 1 domain controller and one Lync server, as well as 2 client machines. 

So i have installed Lync 2013 Server and everything is ok. I have installed the Lync client on both Windows machines - Windows 7 and Windows 8 and both work just fine.

Next i updated my Lync server to Skype for Business - no problem there.

The last step was to update the client on the user machines. So i uninstalled Lync 2013 and installed Skype for Business 2016 Basic.

Here is the issue - for some reason on the Win8 client the Skype is running just fine.

On the Win7 machine however i can see the process starting (lync.exe) and then stopping in matter of seconds. I have tried both 64 and 32 bit.

I think there is something missing. All advises are welcome :)

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:55 PM

All replies

• if you remove the skype for business basic client and install the lync 2013 client again does that load correctly ?

Does it happen for all users on windows 7?

Have you checked the event logs on the pc for any errors ?

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hello Ivan,

I would suggest to check the event log 1000 when you search event logs for Lync.exe and find the

Faulting application module ..which would have the path and file name, also

post which update windows 7 to the latest patches and then isolate the updates as per the article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3158521

Its mostly due to an update or some existing patch causing the issue

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Let me answer Martin first - yes when i remove skype basic and install lync basic i am able to login with that user. I haven't tested on that machine with different users. 

something else caught my eye. I also have Persistent chat installed. When i try to create new Persistent Chat room from my Win8 machine with Skype i get error on the web portal - server could not process your request. Please try again later.

where with the lync client 2013 on win7 with the current setup this is working :D

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi lvan,

Welcome to our forum.

Please make sure at least 2 GB memory on Windows 7, then do a clean boot on Windows 7 after you install Skype for business 2016 basic:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

In addition, update Windows 7 OS to the latest to have a try.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Rash Iglesias Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rash Iglesias Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Rash Iglesias Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:52 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:48 AM
  • So increasing the ram to 2gb didn't do the trick. Now i am installing WSUS on my DMZ server so i can deploy some updates to the Win7 machine and see if this helps.

No resolution yet however.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi lvan,

Did it work after you install updates on Windows7?

For troubleshooting this issue, please install a new Windows 7 without third party software to check if the issue persist.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 6:00 AM