none
Get Marked up mail to go in junk folder

Question

• Hi All,

I am running Exchange 2013 with EdgeWave as our SPAM filtering. EdgeWave marks up e-mails with ADV: in the subject. I want that e-mail to go into the Junk folder for all users.

From what I've read, since EdgeWave connects to us securely, it would bypass and of the Exchange Content Filtering. I've setup the content filtering just in case, and it seems to be true. Exchange will set the SCL of the message to 9 (what I configured) but it never goes to the Junk folder.

Is there any way, short of creating a rule on each users mailbox to get exchange to move the marked up e-mails?

Thanks,

Travis

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:37 PM

Answers

• The problem is that there doesn't appear to be transport rule that will move a message to a specific folder like Junk Mail.  The mechanism used to put spam in the Junk Mail folder is to mark it with a high SCL (like 9) and let Outlook move it to Junk Mail.  If Outlook isn't moving high SCL mail to the junk mail folder, then something is wrong with Outlook.

Here's an article that describes how to configure Outlook to bypass junk mail filtering; perhaps your Outlook clients are set up incorrectly.  Consider forcing these settings the way you want them with Group Policy.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-disable-outlooks-junk-email-filter/

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, February 19, 2016 11:44 PM

All replies

• Can you configure EdgeWave to set the SCL rating?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:47 AM
  • No, but the SCL gets set just fine by Exchange. The mail just never goes to the junk folder.

-SNIP-

X-Mailer: TargetMail E-Mail By TechTarget.com
    X-content_id: 905992
    X-MAG-PROFILE: domain.org
    X-MAG-CATEGORY: JUNK
    X-MAG-FILTER: rules-junk
    X-MAG-INFO: 1961363
    X-MAG-ACTION: MARKUP
    X-MAG-MARKUP: ADV:
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-PRD: lists.techtarget.com
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SenderIdResult: SoftFail
    Received-SPF: SoftFail (mailserver.domain.org: domain of transitioning
     SearchStorage@lists.techtarget.com discourages use of 208.80.204.77 as
     permitted sender)
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Network-Message-Id: 881ec95e-37d1-475e-4e7f-08d33710b136
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 9
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-PCL: 2
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Antispam-Report: DV:3.3.15608.880;SID:SenderIDStatus SoftFail;OrigIP:208.80.204.77
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: GCH-EMU.gracecottage.int
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Anonymous

-SNIP OFF-

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:28 PM
  • That isn't what I asked.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:29 PM
  • I answered what you asked in the first word of my reply. The header snip was just for more information.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Have you tried creating a rule that fires on the header and moves the message to junk mail?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:21 PM
  • I don't see where I can do that in the ECP. under mail flow/rules I can tell it to look at the header, but there is no function to tell it to move to Junk.

I can do it for individual mailboxes, and I can even use the shell to make the rule for each mailbox, but they someone would have to remember to do that for each new mailbox that is created.

Is there syntax that I can use in the shell to create a Exchange wide rule to move SCL 9 e-mail to junk?

Thanks,

travis

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:02 PM
  • You wouldn't use ECP to create an Inbox rule, you would use Outlook.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:17 PM
  • I understand how it can be done with Outlook. I'm trying to get this to work for the whole domain at once. I also need it to be automatic for each new mailbox that's created. I don't want to have to create a new rule for each mailbox manually.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 1:38 PM
  • The problem is that there doesn't appear to be transport rule that will move a message to a specific folder like Junk Mail.  The mechanism used to put spam in the Junk Mail folder is to mark it with a high SCL (like 9) and let Outlook move it to Junk Mail.  If Outlook isn't moving high SCL mail to the junk mail folder, then something is wrong with Outlook.

Here's an article that describes how to configure Outlook to bypass junk mail filtering; perhaps your Outlook clients are set up incorrectly.  Consider forcing these settings the way you want them with Group Policy.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-disable-outlooks-junk-email-filter/

Friday, February 19, 2016 11:44 PM