DirectAccess - Disaster Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can't find any documentation regarding DA disaster recovery scenarios. I tried to test some scenarios when I intentionally misconfigured the DA policy. These scenarios lead to major problem, when the DA policy is misconfigured or other ways corrupted, you can't reach your local network even if you plug your computer to corpnet. So you are not able to change policy settings again, because group policy refresh is impossible. I could figured out which registry keys and adapter settings needs to be modified, but it's not so easy to modify a registry key for 100 or more computers. Do you have any documentation about this issue or some tools to reset DA policy settings on multiple computers? Thanks in advance.

ps: I can repro these issues on any computer, network etc. ;)

Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I know that when the NRPT is corrupted on the client computer registry, then the computer cannot perform any DNS queries and can't refresh its group policy settings.

A fix was already released for this issue. Please download the following KB and install it on the client computers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978738

This fix should make the clients behave correctly, even when the DA Group Policy is corrupted.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Thanks,

Yaniv

Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I know that when the NRPT is corrupted on the client computer registry, then the computer cannot perform any DNS queries and can't refresh its group policy settings.

A fix was already released for this issue. Please download the following KB and install it on the client computers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978738

This fix should make the clients behave correctly, even when the DA Group Policy is corrupted.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Thanks,

Yaniv

Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Thanks, that's great news. However, do you plan to release a Windows update to prevent this issue, or we have install the hotfix to all DA clients manually? :)
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Right now we're distributing it only per request.

I guess it might be also included in Windows 7 SP1.

Sunday, June 6, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Thanks.
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Hello Othorvath,

Im currently working on a creating a DA DRP for a client but can't find any documentation either.  If you have found any interestings sources since your post, that would be a big help.

Thanks for your time!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:12 AM