Exchange Server 2010 Retention Policy RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using a third party product to remove items that are over a year old out of our users mailboxes. That application has stopped working and I'd like to use the built in feature in Microsoft Exchange but our company requires that if the user flags an item that it will not be removed, ever. Is there a way to setup a retention policy that will ignore these flagged messages? 

-J

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:11 PM

Answers

• As I understand yes. Users can use retention tags to mark items to never be removed, and those override the global retention policy settings.

It's explained in great detail here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955(v=exchg.150).aspx but the key bit relevant to what you're asking is "You can also create retention tags with retention disabled or disable tags after they're created. Because messages that have a disabled tag applied aren't processed by the Managed Folder Assistant, no retention action is taken. As a result, users can use a disabled personal tag as a Never Move tag or a Never Delete tag to override a DPT or RPT that would otherwise apply to the message. "

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:48 PM

All replies

• As I understand yes. Users can use retention tags to mark items to never be removed, and those override the global retention policy settings.

It's explained in great detail here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955(v=exchg.150).aspx but the key bit relevant to what you're asking is "You can also create retention tags with retention disabled or disable tags after they're created. Because messages that have a disabled tag applied aren't processed by the Managed Folder Assistant, no retention action is taken. As a result, users can use a disabled personal tag as a Never Move tag or a Never Delete tag to override a DPT or RPT that would otherwise apply to the message. "

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Hi J,

Agree with Keith.

Any update?

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 2, 2014 2:18 AM