none
import existing volumes into a protection group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

For reasons I won't go into, we recently lost our DPM server and could not rely on the backups, we had to rebuild the server. The DPM server protects about 2tb of data on SAN volumes which we did not lose.

When recreating the protection groups is there any way to tell DPM to use the existing disk volumes, both replicas and snapshots?? Obviously I can create new protection groups with a manual option and then copy the data from one volume to another, but this will take quite a long time and would make much more sense if I can just connect to an existing volume during the protection group creation.

many thanks,

Ian

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

The DPM SQL DB maintains the mapping of protected server volume and the DPM replica / recovery point volumes. If you have a backup of the DPMDB prior to rebuilding the server, you can restore the database using dpmsync -resoredb -dbloc c:\dpmdb.bak followed by a dpmsync -sync and that will maintain your PG's and volume associations.   If you don't have the DB then the only other option you have is to use CUSTOM VOLUME.   During the PG creation, don't use the storage pool, but instead select custom volume and point DPM to the old replica volume (do not format) and recovery point volume (do reformat) then choose the manual load method so we don't try to replica the data. Once the PG is created using custom volume, run a consistency check.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

The DPM SQL DB maintains the mapping of protected server volume and the DPM replica / recovery point volumes. If you have a backup of the DPMDB prior to rebuilding the server, you can restore the database using dpmsync -resoredb -dbloc c:\dpmdb.bak followed by a dpmsync -sync and that will maintain your PG's and volume associations.   If you don't have the DB then the only other option you have is to use CUSTOM VOLUME.   During the PG creation, don't use the storage pool, but instead select custom volume and point DPM to the old replica volume (do not format) and recovery point volume (do reformat) then choose the manual load method so we don't try to replica the data. Once the PG is created using custom volume, run a consistency check.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:43 PM
  • okay - not the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks for the reply.

Ian

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:15 AM