Installing drivers with MDT after a deployment is completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My team has run into a problematic situation. While not perfect (not at all), our business is standardizing all the OS on all the system with SCCM. The only thing is the image we are being given to install on all computers does not include any drivers of our previous models... Only the new models are included.

We do not have any control over that SCCM. It is setup and updated by our main office. So there is no way for us to include the missing drivers. The only drivers that they are willing to included are the Network and the HDC drivers. All the other drivers are left out.

We currently have a MDT setup that has all those drivers already imported in it. Is there ANY way for me to setup a task that I can run with LiteTouch.vbs that will allow me to "Inject" the missing drivers in our previous model without having to install them manually? The only time I will be able to run the LiteTouch.vbs would be after the SCCM deployment is already completed. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• Seems like you'd simply be able to ask the main office to create SCCM driver packages for the older models, since you apparently have those drivers available. You said you want to inject drivers, which is precisely what MDT does for you. Are you saying you want to inject drivers after a deployment? The drivers should have been injected during the imaging process. Are you referring to "problem" drivers, such as a driver that may requires an installer?

If you are using MDT for OS deployment, I'm confused as to why the drivers aren't installed during the task sequence.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Like I said, we have no control over the SCCM and they are not willing to create package for us... They simply wont.

We have to deploy all our system using their OS. We find ourself with systems with Windows 7 installed, but sometime missing 5+ drivers on them.

We previously had a MDT for our small office that was working perfectly, hence the question if I can use that MDT to install the missing drivers on the computers. That action would need to be run AFTER the OS has been deployed.

We could install the drivers manually on each system, but we'd need to do that for 200 to 300 computers and almost 15 different models...

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Do you deploy the OS with MDT or do you deploy the OS with SCCM?

In a nutshell, no. MDT cannot be used to inject drivers "after the fact." That doesn't mean drivers can't be installed post-deployment, however. You'd simply need to use an installer or a script, which can be imported into MDT as an application.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:29 PM