Common Area Phones dialing local PSTN numbers from the wrong area code RRS feed

• Question

• Setup = SfB Standard Server 2015 on-prem, Sonus SBC1000 gateways, using Polycom VVX500/501 phones & Polycom Trio's

G'day all, i have just discovered that our CAP phones in Victoria are using the wrong area code (+61 8 SA) when dialing out to local PSTN numbers.

Normally we could just pick up the phone and dial out to a local number, but we now have to dial the area code as well.

e.g. when dialing 9777 8888 it's now showing +618 9777 8888 using the SA area code and not the +613 Vic area code. But if i dial a mobile number it displays correctly 03 9777 8888 and i can also call back the CAP phone using its correct number from mobile. We've used the same script for setting up all our CAP phone's and nothing has been changed.

NB:We have CAP phones in NSW and SA which use the correct area codes.

If someone can please shed some light on what area i should be checking that would be great, cheers.

Monday, December 16, 2019 3:47 AM

Answers

• Hi ChristianBorromeo!

I’m sorry to reply you too late!

I have some confusions to confirm to you.

Q1: In the third paragraph, it seems you did a test to create a new CAP phone number in pool1(02). When you dial out from Vic and SA, is the phone number display correct? What phone number it displayed?

Q2: Is the CAP phone you created can dial in or dial out or both?

Q3: In my experience, if you have created Common area phone, you can run the command “Get-CsCommonAreaPhone -Filter” to see your configuration, why it returns nothing?

We recommend you add new users in SA and Vic and create a new dial plan. Then test if this issue still persist.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi ChristianBorromeo!

Do you have any operations before this issue happened?

Does anyone else have the same issue?

In my research, we recommend you check your area number in your phone number normalization rule and modify the wrong number area. Then run the cmdlet “update- CsAdressBook” to see if this issue persist.

Moreover, run the command Get-CsCommonAreaPhone -Filter{LineUri -eq “<tel>”} to see if returns a single common area phone. For more details, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/get-cscommonareaphone?view=skype-ps

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Monday, December 16, 2019 12:20 PM
  • Hi Jimmy, thank you for replying. You asked if anyone else is having the same issue and the answer is Yes. We also have offices in Qld and Tas and they're also experiencing the same issue. A few months ago we had an outage at our data center where we keep 1 of 2 of our SBC's (call it pool 1 in NSW) so we moved everyone over to to (pool 2 in SA) and then back to pool 1 once the outage was fixed. I know that while users were in pool 2 they had the SA (08) area code applied to their numbers and it returned to their normal area codes after we moved them back to their original pool.

Note: we didn't actually move any of the CAP phones when this happened but this is the only incident i can think of that has occurred recently.

If i create a new CAP phone using the script below, depending on which -RegistrarPool i add them into seems to determine if they dial out from 02 or 08 but this was not the case previously when we created CAP phone for the other states using different area codes i.e. Qld, Vic & Tas.

FYI: I ran the Get-CsCommonAreaPhone -Filter{LineUri -eq “<tel>”} and it didn't return anything

$lineuri = "tel:+6139777 8888;ext=8888"
    $description = "VIC Hot Desk 12 (VIC)"
    $displayname = "VIC Hot Desk 12 (VIC)"
    $displaynumber= "03 9777 8888"
    $sip = "sip:vichotdesk12@contoso.com"

New-CsCommonAreaPhone -LineUri $lineuri -RegistrarPool "pool1.contoso.com.au" -OU "OU=HY_Users,DC=contoso,DC=com,DC=au" -Description $description -DisplayName $displayname  -DisplayNumber $displaynumber -SipAddress $sip
    Grant-CsVoicePolicy -Identity "VIC Hot Desk 12 (VIC)" -PolicyName "AU-National"

Grant-CsConferencingPolicy -PolicyName "CAPConferencingPolicy" -Identity $displayname
    sleep 60
    Set-CsClientPin –Identity "VIC Hot Desk 12 (VIC)" -Pin 1111

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:57 PM
  • Hi ChristanBorromeo!

I am still discussing this issue with my colleagues, if there is new progress,we will reply in time!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:13 PM
  • Great, thanks Jimmy.
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:20 PM
  • Hi ChristianBorromeo!

I’m sorry to reply you too late!

I have some confusions to confirm to you.

Q1: In the third paragraph, it seems you did a test to create a new CAP phone number in pool1(02). When you dial out from Vic and SA, is the phone number display correct? What phone number it displayed?

Q3: In my experience, if you have created Common area phone, you can run the command “Get-CsCommonAreaPhone -Filter” to see your configuration, why it returns nothing?

We recommend you add new users in SA and Vic and create a new dial plan. Then test if this issue still persist.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Friday, December 27, 2019 2:33 AM
  • Hi Jimmy, i switched off over the break. Thanks for getting back to me. To answer your questions, see below.

Q1: In the third paragraph, it seems you did a test to create a new CAP phone number in pool1(02). When you dial out from Vic and SA, is the phone number display correct?

A: On the phone it displays correctly when calling a mobile e.g. +61451823333

What phone number it displayed?

A: on my mobile 03 9777 8888It's dialing out with e.g. 02 When i dial a local number it shows +612 9777 888. Should be +613 9777 888.

A: Can do everything but as mentioned the issue is when calling a local number it has an incorrect area code. Can you explain how the CAP knows what area code to call from?

A: I can see configuration ok now.

Monday, January 6, 2020 5:33 AM
  • FYI i added the test CAP to an existing dial plan and it is dialing local numbers from the correct area code. I'm assuming i now need to add dial plans to all the affected CAP phones and for any new CAP phones i create. 

This begs the question as to how all the CAP phones were dialing out from the correct area codes previously from the script example i was using above?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:27 AM
  • Update: I have now applied dial plans to the affected CAP's and tested. All CAP's are now dialing out from the correct area codes. Thanks for the assistance.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:27 PM