none
Help! ATT Uverse DSL Upgrade causes loss of internet

Question

• Hey Gang, AT&T has "upgraded" my DSL service to Uverse DSL. As everyone here probably knows, DHCP can not be disabled on AT&T's modem / router. I am running a WSE 2012 server with DHCP enabled and using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as a modem / router. Everything was working great before the upgrade! After the upgrade, I attempted to join my Nighthawk to the AT&T M/R so that I might disable DHCP on my side and continue business. I can join the Nighthawk, get internet functioning, and use the internet with a computer wired directly to the Nighthawk. When I disable DHCP on the Nighthawk to join my server into the mix, the Nighthawk quits responding. I have no experience with cascading. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS. I have no problem purchasing other hardware to return functionality. Thanks.

AT&T M/R: PACE 5268AC FXN

MY M/R: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:31 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the slow reply. I installed a Linksys router and it worked like a charm. I went back and tried to install the Netgear M/R and it just wouldn't work. Everything is good.
    • Marked as answer by JDean1 Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:00 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>When I disable DHCP on the Nighthawk to join my server into the mix, the Nighthawk quits responding.
    Please try to check/upgrade firmware of your router and confirm the result.

I am not quite understand about the “Nighthawk quits responding” exactly mean, please reference product description and make sure that this router is correctly configured(you may try to re-configured it manually, re-start the router and confirm the result) and working(indicator light status).

On Windows Server Essentials, please using “ipconfig /all” to confirm that appropriate TCP/IP parameters has been configured. If it has been configured to use static IP address, please try to change it to obtain IP address automatically and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Hi Eve, Thanks for the reply. Instead of does not respond, I should have written - I can no longer directly access the M/R. All TCP/IP parameters are correct. I have DHCP enabled, as I feel all servers should have. Someone has to have faced this AT&T issue. I am hoping there might be a post or tutorial out there for placing a router behind the AT&T router as this relates to Server 12.

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

>I can no longer directly access the M/R.
    >placing a router behind the AT&T router.
    I would recommend you to contact the hardware provider/supporter, contact with them about the problem, confirm that if they can provide more suggestion/information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:48 AM
  • I am going to try other hardware options. I have had no luck.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

If there is any update, please reply to this thread.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Sorry for the slow reply. I installed a Linksys router and it worked like a charm. I went back and tried to install the Netgear M/R and it just wouldn't work. Everything is good.
    • Marked as answer by JDean1 Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:00 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

Also, thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your detail sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, September 01, 2017 1:29 AM