Windows 7 RC and Folder.jpg RRS feed

• Question

• Hello verciones in the past (XP, Vista) had a useful role in organizing the folders of movies and music,  if you had a folder.jpg file in a folder, it would become the thumbnail for that folder.
    which must now do the same?
    Thank
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• I have the same question, only some folders take the folder.jpg
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Try copying the hidden file desktop.ini from a folder that works to one that doesn't.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Doesn't work. I copied Folder.jpg Thumbs.db and Desktop.ini.

This is an example

http://www.it-soporte.net/folders.jpg

All folders contains a Folder.jpg file. Running Windows Xp works fine.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:35 PM
  • It won't do any good I'm afraid and I'm pretty sure it never takes, I have hundreds of such folders and not one of them works in Explorer as it should or 7000. MC and MCX still use them OK though. Although, I'm fairly certain that MS has already acknowledge this as a 7100 bug and issue has been addressed post-RC - or so some birds who install leaked versions say.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:35 PM
  • What really irritates lots of people who have large media collections organized with directories and folder.jpg files is not so much that the vista-style folder.jpg functionality is bugged in Windows 7 so far (at least in build 7100), but that starting with Vista and apparently continuing with 7, there is no way to restore XP-style folder.jpg rendering.

In XP, the folder.jpg would be shown as a 2D picture filling most of the available thumbnail space. This was perfect to display cover art for CDs or movies. Now, the folder.jpg is displayed in pseudo-3d fashion, as a picture contained in a file. While that visual presentation is appropriate for folders containing picture or document collections, it imparts visual recognition of a single cover art picture.

We're not just talking aesthetics here. Finding a folder in a large media collection (be it books, CDs or movies) by cover picture is fast and efficient, and beats sifting through text. Unfortunately, the smaller slanted vista-style folder pics are not as readily recognized as the XP-style ones.

There is no registry hack that I know of that restores the old behavior. I hope that Microsoft will introduce that option before they release Windows 7.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:42 PM
  • What really irritates lots of people who have large media collections organized with directories and folder.jpg files is not so much that the vista-style folder.jpg functionality is bugged in Windows 7 so far (at least in build 7100), but that starting with Vista and apparently continuing with 7, there is no way to restore XP-style folder.jpg rendering.

Personal preference I guess. I'm not a great fan on the Vista/7 thumbnail rendering for the reasons you stated but TBH, I absolutely hated the XP style as well. I mean, talk about ugly. I do have to say though, I don't ever recall looking for something in my media collection by scanning folder thumbs, neither in XP nor now in 7. It is a cute visual touch (to me) nothing more. Even looking for images would get me frustrated if it wasn't that all 50k+ of them were were categorized in 100's of folders. That said, it would be nice to have one or two options as to the way a folder thumb is rendered. Next are those annoying shadows around image thumbs. Uugh!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:53 PM
  • It is the behaviour of the new Libraries folder that you are commenting about. If you navigate to User Name/Pictures folder you will see the thumbnail displayed on the folder.

I am not really fond of the Libraries feature. You can get some ideas as to why the developers thought this would be here and searching TechNet for Windows 7 Libraries. Libraries are really shortcuts to the files.

I have discovered a way to manage the folder options in the Libraries yet.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:52 AM
  • It is the behaviour of the new Libraries folder that you are commenting about. If you navigate to User Name/Pictures folder you will see the thumbnail displayed on the folder.

I am not really fond of the Libraries feature. You can get some ideas as to why the developers thought this would be here and searching TechNet for Windows 7 Libraries. Libraries are really shortcuts to the files.

I have discovered a way to manage the folder options in the Libraries yet.

OK. I could not edit my previous post for some reason. I found that at the top right of the Pictures Library window, you click on the change view list. Change the view to a larger icon and the thumbnail now appears on the folder.

Another link to a Libraries search for further learning. here
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:08 PM