none
Managing the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In Windows 10 v1607, how do I fully manage the Windows Update option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" through the group policies and the registry entries?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no way to completely manage the Windows Update option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows". Because at least, users can’t configure/remove the check box by any computer policy or registry.

What we can do is ticking/unticking this option or using some GPO to influence this option. Such as:

Remove access to use all Windows Update features

Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

There is no way to completely manage the Windows Update option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows". Because at least, users can’t configure/remove the check box by any computer policy or registry.

What we can do is ticking/unticking this option or using some GPO to influence this option. Such as:

Remove access to use all Windows Update features

Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Therefore, Windows 10 v1607 has a problem:

If I disable the automatic updates using the "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update\Configure Windows Updates" policy of the group policies, the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" box of the "Settings/Update & security/Windows Update/Advanced options" window is automatically disabled.

How do I prevent this?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:24 AM

• Therefore, Windows 10 v1607 has a problem:

If I disable the automatic updates using the "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update\Configure Windows Updates" policy of the group policies, the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" box of the "Settings/Update & security/Windows Update/Advanced options" window is automatically disabled.

How do I prevent this?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

There is not a policy called “Configure Windows Updates” under the path:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

If you have configured Configure Automatic Updates, the option greyed out is normal, change this GPO to Not Configured and go to settings, click check for updates again to see the result.

Regards

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:25 AM

• Therefore, Windows 10 v1607 has a problem:

How do I prevent this?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

There is not a policy called “Configure Windows Updates” under the path:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

If you have configured Configure Automatic Updates, the option greyed out is normal, change this GPO to Not Configured and go to settings, click check for updates again to see the result.

Regards

So, how do I download, in manual mode, Windows and Microsoft product updates?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:07 AM
  • You can configure GPO: Configure Automatic Update as Not Configured state, then tick the option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" to download, I have mentioned in my last reply.

Or search the product you need in Microsoft Download Center.

Reagrds

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:32 AM
  • You can configure GPO: Configure Automatic Update as Not Configured state, then tick the option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" to download, I have mentioned in my last reply.

Or search the product you need in Microsoft Download Center.

Reagrds

Using Windows 10 v1607 Enterprise, if I disable the automatic updates, the aforementioned option appears disabled and, therefore, I can no longer tick its. Why?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto Balubeto

Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Why you disable Automatic update? because you don’t want system update itself automatically.

Since system can’t update automatically, corresponding product will not be push certainly, it’s general knowledge.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:24 AM
  • I can tell you why Balubeto, and any number of other people would want to disable automatic updates.  In an enterprise environment we use other software to manage updates of all software including Microsoft products.  Why would anyone with thousands of computer want them all to go to Microsoft to download the updates, and flood the WAN links to the enterprise?  We download the patches to a set of servers and push the updates via other software.  Thus the update only was downloaded 1 time over the WAN connection.  Pushing the updates in-house also allows for us to pick and choose which computers get which updates, schedule times for it to be pushed to endpoints.  The list could go on and on.  There are other times when the computer needs to receive patches that may not be pushed for whatever reason like Office patches.  In previous version of windows you could disable the automatic updates but still set Windows update to check for other Microsoft products when a manual check was run.  Seems kind of odd that once the update is disabled we loose the option of getting other Microsoft Products, Windows 10 1511 and before it works, 1607 it does not.  

I have followed this article, but I think it is for windows 7 not 10.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa826676(v=vs.85).aspx

I did notice that a computer with 1511 has extra registry keys in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate path.  However unless I spend hours decoding the guids that are listed I have no idea what more than half of the entries are linking to.  

This is a feature that NEEDS to be fixed Microsoft.  It was working why turn it off?

Monday, May 15, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Here is what I have found that fixes the problem.  The check box stays unchecked but when you do a check for updates office updates will now download and install.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other/possible-to-enable-microsoft-updates-via-registry/4cc36272-a0f2-4206-83f5-57d429bcce1f

Power Shell Command.

(new-object -c "microsoft.update.servicemanager").addservice2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

Saved it, made a batch file with the same name that calls the power shell file to be able to run as admin so you don't have to open power shell as Admin, put the line in and run it.  Works great.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Jason Campbell,

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

I have spent about 2 hours this morning trying to get the new Office 2016 install to update to no avail, but your solution worked.

Thanks again !!!

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:08 PM