none
Missing desktop folder after Redirecting desktop back to the clients

Question

• I have SBS2011 and Windows 7 clients.  For a long time, my documents have been redirected to my server with no problem. Recently, I decided to redirect my desktops to the server as well.  To do this, I checked the desktop box on the server management console for Folder Redirection.  Unfortunately, this created problems with laptop clients when operating out of the office network. In an effort to redirect desktops back to the client machines, I left the redirection checkmark on the server console and edited the group policy for Folder Redirection for the Desktop folder.  I specified the location for the Desktop for my user group to %UserProfile%\Desktop (described as "Redirect to the local userprofile location").  However, the desktop folder is missing from the user profile on the client.  On the client, under Computer properties, Advanced System settings, User Profiles, the profile name is DOMAIN\UserName.  Under c:\Users, the user profile folder is named UserName.DOMAIN.  Does %UserProfile% properly point to C:\Users\UserName.DOMAIN profile folder?  How can I get my Desktop folder back, and properly situated in the C:\Users\UserName.DOMAIN profile folder?
    Monday, November 14, 2016 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion, I would suggest to use offline files feature in this scenario.

Regarding the space which offline files take, you could limit the disk usage or delete /clear space taken up by Offline files:

The Offline Files Disk Usage Limits settings do not reflect the settings that are defined in the GPO in Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2028960

Delete and clear space taken up by Offline files in Windows 7

https://blog.nicholasrogoff.com/2012/08/23/delete-and-clear-space-taken-up-by-offline-files-in-windows-7/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by SammieKay Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    If you want to redirect desktop folder back to local profiles on the clients, you could edit the GPO which is configured to redirect desktop folder to select the Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed policy setting and see if it works on next logon
    The profiles will be copied to the local machine when you enable this setting.
    Please see details from:
    How to stop Folder Redirection in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows 2000 Server
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/888203
    Stopping Folder Redirection - Return to local?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/de21d8d3-4465-4228-bf7e-d50e11e6747c/stopping-folder-redirection-return-to-local?forum=winserverGP
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for checking in. The article about how to stop folder redirection was good.  What I was missing was the policy for application data.  I updated that also.  At this point, my redirection policy for app data, desktops, documents and start menu are all redirected to the server).  I didn't proceed to policy removal yet.

The reason I was having trouble in the first place is that my laptops were losing their desktops and start menus when out of the office network.  It used to work fine before I improperly unchecked redirect desktop and start menu on the SBS 2011 server console.  (I never disturbed documents.)

So what is the best folder redirection policy to ensure the laptops have their usual desktop and start menu while out of the office network?  Do offline files have anything to do with this?  I don't like using offline files because they take up too much space on the laptop.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, I would suggest to use offline files feature in this scenario.

Regarding the space which offline files take, you could limit the disk usage or delete /clear space taken up by Offline files:

The Offline Files Disk Usage Limits settings do not reflect the settings that are defined in the GPO in Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2028960

Delete and clear space taken up by Offline files in Windows 7

https://blog.nicholasrogoff.com/2012/08/23/delete-and-clear-space-taken-up-by-offline-files-in-windows-7/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by SammieKay Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:46 AM