Lost ALL Bookmarks when upgraded to IE 11 in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure what has happened, but when I upgraded to IE 11 in Windows 7 ALL the bookmarks that I had went BYE BYE. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover or fix this problem. Thanks,

Not happy in Dallas

Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:51 AM

Answers

• Don't think so.

Use a restore point and check the results.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, December 2, 2013 11:38 AM
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hello CMiller56Dallas,

This is what I would do.

Use System Restore in Safe mode to restore the System to prior the upgrade.

Using System Restore in Safe mode:

Upon starting the machine, keep pressing the "F8" function key (see the top row of your keyboard) until the "Advanced Boot Options" screen appears and there choose "Safe Mode".

In Safe mode, do:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/

Right-click "System Restore"/

Choose "Run as administrator/

Click "Next":

It shows a list of dates and times.

Display more dates and times by ticking (checking) the box that says:

"Show more restore points."

Choose a "Restore Point" dated prior to the upgrade.

Once the older IE is back, export your "Favorites" (bookmarks) to a file - see:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/copy-internet-explorer-favorites-ones-profile-68702.html

Then upgrade your IE.

Then if the Favorites are missing, import them from your file - using the same utility in IE.

(If they cannot be imported, bear in mind you can double-click them anywhere they are located and they will still work.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert339.

• Edited by Robert339 Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:54 PM
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:51 PM

All replies

• Don't think so.

Use a restore point and check the results.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hello CMiller56Dallas,

This is what I would do.

Use System Restore in Safe mode to restore the System to prior the upgrade.

Using System Restore in Safe mode:

Upon starting the machine, keep pressing the "F8" function key (see the top row of your keyboard) until the "Advanced Boot Options" screen appears and there choose "Safe Mode".

In Safe mode, do:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/

Right-click "System Restore"/

Choose "Run as administrator/

Click "Next":

It shows a list of dates and times.

Display more dates and times by ticking (checking) the box that says:

"Show more restore points."

Choose a "Restore Point" dated prior to the upgrade.

Once the older IE is back, export your "Favorites" (bookmarks) to a file - see:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/copy-internet-explorer-favorites-ones-profile-68702.html

Then upgrade your IE.

Then if the Favorites are missing, import them from your file - using the same utility in IE.

(If they cannot be imported, bear in mind you can double-click them anywhere they are located and they will still work.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert339.

• Edited by Robert339 Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:54 PM
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

For the bookmark, do you mean “Favorites” in IE,  If you do not see it on the menu bar, I suggest you check the default location for Favorites in System drive:\Users\(user name)\Favorites folder.

Otherwise, you can just try solution provided by arnavsharma and Robert339 to return  to a restore point.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:15 AM
  • Dear Robert339,

I followed your instructions but the IE from my restore date was still missing the favorites. I have Windows 7 Home Premium. What can I do? I am distraught without my favorites; they were years in the making.

I did find my favorites list on my C drive. I copied them to my favorites bar, but the next day they were gone! and no longer on the C drive under users/favorites.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hello CMiller56Dallas,

- -

I assume that when you refer to "users/favorites" you mean that you followed Yoland's advice to:

"... check the default location for Favorites in System drive:\Users\(user name)\Favorites folder."

- -

Try doing the following with the "(user name)" folder in the path quoted above:

Open Windows Explorer.
    Browse to, and then Right-click the folder (within which were your favorites).
    Choose Properties.
    Choose the 'Previous Versions' tab.
    Wait for the System to find and display all previous versions of this folder in the "Folder versions" area.
    Click to select the version of your choice.
    Click "Restore...".
    Click "Restore".
    Click "OK".

- -

If that version does not contain the favorites, then repeat the above, and try an earlier version.

- -

Do ensure that you create a backup to external media for all important personal documents including for all Internet Bookmarks (called "Favorites" in IE) for all Web Browsers that you use.

- -

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert.

P.S. I do not know why, but this site does not save paragraph breaks in posted messages.
    • Edited by Robert339 Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:33 PM