none
Can't change password local account - Windows 10 home edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to change my password on my only account (local) and get the following error message:

"Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain"

How can I resolve this?

Many thanks.

Kas

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Kas,

To my knowledge, password complexity is configured by group policy, which needs Pro and higher Windows editions.

If you are using Home edition, your user profile should be broken, or there are some third-party software/malware cause it.

Create a new account to test.

Clean boot computer and uninstall all unnecessary and unknown software.

One more thing, I suggest to change password via Computer Management\System Tools\Local User and Groups\Users

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:05 AM
  • @Moreno, op has mentioned that system is home edition, please look at the title of post, group policy method is not applicable

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:06 AM
  • No, no...we appreciate your effort and kindness, forum is a place where everyone can express opinions, nobody can make no mistake.

Friday, January 19, 2018 1:13 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:27 AM
  • I had created a new profile and deleted the old account. Could that be a possible cause to not being able to change my password?
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 4:55 PM