Auto Approval Rule Isn't Approving Several Updates RRS feed

• Question

• New to Intune, so probably have something configured incorrectly....

We set up an auto-approval rule and machines received the updates that were needed.  After the next check for updates, 5 more were found as needed.  These 5 are not yet approved, and the rule is not auto-approving them.  We tried running the rule manually and it isn't approving them.  We assume that we don't have either the Category or the Classification set up correctly.  However one of the updates that won't approve automatically is Silverlight, and it is checked in both.

Is there a way to tell why that is happening?  We can easily approve them, but are wondering if we will have to do this regularly once we start getting a lot of machines connecting.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Friday, April 10, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just tested out a rule for Feature Packs and one for Updates and it worked perfectly.  (I choose all products, and limited it to Feature Packs and Updates)

If that doesn't work, please open a support case and we'll help to resolve.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, May 1, 2015 3:30 AM

All replies

• Can you provide some more details about the configuration? Also, for a lot of information see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn646968.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Is there anything specific that would give you a better understanding of what we are seeing?

We have an auto-approval rule set up with some, but not all, products selected.  We then have the update classifications configured as all but "Feature Packs" and "Tools" selected.  In this instance, Silverlight is checked in the products.

The update for Silverlight showing as needing approval is KB2977218.  It has a classification of "Update Rollups", which as I mentioned above we have that checked to be included.

In the documentation we see that when you create an auto-approval rule it only applies to new updates.  However if you want to apply it to older (existing) updates, you can run it manually.  Running manually isn't having any effect on the approval of the updates.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

I just tested out a rule for Feature Packs and one for Updates and it worked perfectly.  (I choose all products, and limited it to Feature Packs and Updates)

If that doesn't work, please open a support case and we'll help to resolve.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, May 1, 2015 3:30 AM