Vista freezes after i connect usb printer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    i got a problem with my notebook Lenovo X300 with Vista Business SP1. Almost every time i connect a printer through USB Vista freezes and i have to do hard restart. I have two different printers from different companies and both do that. I didn't install anything and it all started do itself.
    Please help. Pete
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to narrow down the issue, could you please confirm the following point?

1.Do you have similar issue when using other USB devices? Such as an USB flash drive, an external hard disk.

2.Did you test this problem in Clean Boot?

Clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to narrow down the issue, could you please confirm the following point?

1.Do you have similar issue when using other USB devices? Such as an USB flash drive, an external hard disk.

2.Did you test this problem in Clean Boot?

Clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Thx for replay, all others usb devices work without problems, I'll try clean boot in August 11., when my boss is going to come back from vacation and I'll post the resultat. Thanks again Pete
    Friday, August 1, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If you have any update on this issue, please let me know.

Thanks.

Monday, August 4, 2008 10:19 AM
  • Hi, now things got changed, notebook freezes after i connect all kind of devices to USB ports, but the problem is, it's not happening every time. pls help
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

According to your description, this issue mostly can be caused by following factors:

1.USB port hardware problem.

2.Software incompatibility problem.

3.Windows Vista system files corrupted.

In order to narrow down the issue, please confirm the following points. Thanks!

1.Could you re-produce this issue in Clean Boot environment?

2.Could you re-produce this issue in Safe Mode?

Run Windows Vista Safe Mode

================================

1. Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

In addition, I suggest you take a SFC to check Windows Vista system files.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:31 AM
  • I too have the same issue when attaching multiple USB devices at random times the system will freeze.  I had the problem with Vista RC0 and then I did a complete reinstall with Vista SP1 and still have the issue.  I believe there is a bug in Vista causing the issue.

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:34 PM
  •  

Me too have the same issue when USB devices of diferrent manufacters, when i reinstall my win vista with cd´s of my manufacter (Dell), the problem continues, pls Help!
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:48 AM