Side-by-side migration - OSD Boot Images problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everybody,

I'm performing a side-by-side migration from SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 to SCCM 2012 SP1.
    I've managed to migrate most of the stuff i needed (collections, s/w packages, drivers, etc) but I'm having a hard time with the O/S boot images.

Running an Object Migration job for OSD boot images always ends up in a fail state

I've read various articles & posts regarding the issue.
    Some state that the boot images can be migrated while others say it's not possible and you have to recreate them?

I've been using the x64 image to deploy Windows 7 clients and for the time being I'm not interested in moving to W8.
    From what I've read, the new WINPE v.4.0 images will not have a problem booting new PCs for Win7 OSD TS, so i guess I'll be OK.

The question is:

- Is it OK for me to just add the needed drivers in the default boot images that SCCM 2012 SP1 setup created, or should I find a solution in order to migrate the old boot images succesfully?

And regarding the OSD task sequences:

- The OSD TS will also fail to migrate if the boot image selected in not migrated successfully.
    Should i remove the boot image from the task sequence, perform the migration and then add the new boot image to it?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

BRgds,

Pavlos

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:26 AM

All replies

• During the migration of OSD objects the Drivers, Driver Packages, OS Images, and OS Install Packages (now called OS Installers) are migrated exactly as they were in ConfigMgr 2007. The exceptions to the rule are the Boot Images.

The actual boot image WIM file is not what is being migrated. The drivers that have been injected in the ConfigMgr 2007 boot images are being automatically injected into similarly named boot images being created from the boot WIM files from the ADK on the ConfigMgr 2012 server.

Task Sequences are migrated almost identically as well. New SCCM client package is replaced automatically.

So, in answer to your question, although the boot images are not actually migrated to the SCCM 2012 environment it would be a cleaner migration of task sequences if you could resolve this. What error are you having?

The migmctrl.log file records the progress of migration actions? 

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:02 PM Edited blog address
    Monday, May 20, 2013 10:47 AM
  • for OSD, I recommend that you only migrate the custom stuff you have in your task sequences. For drivers and boot images, it can often be easier to create them all over again.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:49 AM
  • The migmctrl.log file records the progress of migration actions

I hope that helps. I can also include the text but it's quite big...

Monday, May 20, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Have a look at your SCCM 2007 boot images. They should have NIC drivers only. Remove any others.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:02 PM Edited blog address
    Monday, May 20, 2013 11:20 AM
  • I concur with Kent. Particularly when going to 2012 SP1 as it uses WinPE 4.0  and cannot use your WinPE 3.x based boot images from 2007 anyway. Thus, your boot images in 2007 are essentially useless going forward and creating new ones is the only actual option.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Problem solved!

It seems that something was wrong in the old SCCM 2007 boot images after all.

I had injected various drivers in the boot images (besides the ones for NICs).
    I tried to remove them, only leaving the once needed for network, but i once again faced failures with injecting them.

The problem was solved by completely removing all drivers from the .wim file and then re-adding only the few NIC-related ones.

As soon as i did that and updated the DP, migration on SCCM 2012 went smooth.

Thank you gentlemen very much for your prompt and helpful replies.

BRgds,

Pavlos

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:27 PM
  • @Kent, Jason

So that means that even though the migration of boot images was successful after all, I will not be able to use these for OS deployment of Windows 7 in SCCM 2012 SP1?

I should just inject the needed drivers on the default .wim file of new SCCM 2012 SP1 and use this on my OSD?

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Correct.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Thank you very much Jason for clarifying this :-)
    Monday, May 20, 2013 7:58 PM
  • I have a simular problem.

But I can't make changes to the cm07 bootimage because it is always in use by the customer.

That way, my Tasksequence won't get migrated correct.

All packages etc are migrated except the tasksequence (because of the old bootimage).

So whats next I can do?

Greetings

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:44 AM