none
Impact of deleting old timesheet in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I Know that is a general question but I m looking for general answers. I would like to know what is the impact of deleting old timesheet.

So we are using SQL server 2008 R2, SP 2010 et PS 2010.

I know that deleting timesheet doesn't impact on project plans. I know that this deletion will clean up the timesheet tables in reporting db, and will delete the calendar exceptions of resources (ie vacation).

Is it any other effects that I am forgetting?

I hope there is not another topic about this question, if so I couldn't find it.

Thank you by advance for your answers

Morgane

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:55 AM

Answers

• Morgane,

It's a great question and thank you for asking. Technically, you are correct. It'll delete the timesheet records and calendar exceptions. I typically only delete a range of timesheets for which there are no active projects within that range.

However, there may be greater ramifications to deleting the data. Many places I've worked with have retention policies for Project Server data, especially if it has billing or other financial ramifications. In some cases, companies have to retain data for 5 years. It's also discoverable data for legal investigation. It may be worthwhile to have an internal discussion around this aspect.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by MorganeZ Friday, April 12, 2013 12:41 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• Morgane,

It's a great question and thank you for asking. Technically, you are correct. It'll delete the timesheet records and calendar exceptions. I typically only delete a range of timesheets for which there are no active projects within that range.

However, there may be greater ramifications to deleting the data. Many places I've worked with have retention policies for Project Server data, especially if it has billing or other financial ramifications. In some cases, companies have to retain data for 5 years. It's also discoverable data for legal investigation. It may be worthwhile to have an internal discussion around this aspect.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by MorganeZ Friday, April 12, 2013 12:41 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Hello Treb,

Thank you for your answer and your advices! We definetly need to have a discussion about it within our company.

Best regards,

Morgane

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:41 PM