Bootable Vista DVD Crashing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I will explain from the very start what is going on here...

First off i installed a copy of Vista Ultimate onto a new partition on the end of my hard disk (250GB Seagte).  Thus i had my Windows XP partition followed by the Vista partition.  Now i was happy with Vista so i decided to move all my files over to that partition and then dump Windows XP.

So i booted up GPARTED and used this to remove my Win XP partition and resized my Vista Partition to use the whole disk.

So i did this and then rebooted.  Then Vista could no longer boot.  I got the error "0xc0000225 Winload not found".  So i thought fair enough, i shall put the Vista DVD in and boot up to repair it.  This was a no no.

When trying to boot up with the Vista DVD, i get the green scroll bar along the bottom but then just as the gui is about to load the screen goes blank and nothing happens.  I know the dvd works so it is not the problem.

I have then used GPARTED to resize the Vista partition so there was about 10GB in front of it (unused and unformated, just empty space).  After doing this, i am then able to boot up with the Vista DVD and also able to boot Vista normally without any issues.

Does anyone know what i can do to get it working without the 10GB unused disk in front of my Vista partition?

Or

Does anyone know how i can get into a repair mode when the DVD doesn't boot???

Many Thanks

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• So i take it no one has any ideas about this.

Its weird.

I can unplug my SATA drive which has my current Vista partition and the disk will work fine.  Plug it back in again and the DVD disk hangs after showing the green status bar upon loading.

If i resize the partition to make some space before it, the DVD disk then works.

What the fudge?  What can i do to get the DVD setup program to load?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Read this article to assure it has issues or not: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17

Good luck

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Hmm, im not sure that will help.

I managed to get a little bit further with this last night.  The setup on the pressed microsoft dvd actually got past the blank screen and loaded up the blue and green background along with the mouse pointer but did nothing after that.  I left it for ages but it just sat there.

The DVD is not burnt it is a retail version and it isn't duff as i have got to the menu before.

This is annoying me something rotten. :-(

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:19 AM
  • Well i have got around this in the end.

I made a ghost image of the partition i was trying to rescue and saved it to another disk.  I then deleted the partition and reinstalled vista.  I then used Ghost Explorer to pull files that i wanted from the original parition.

Long winded way, but as the bootmgr sucks for vista there is nothing else you can do!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:10 AM