Opening PDF in client incorrectly adds to browser history RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on PDFs, they open in an Adobe window.  However, I have to click the back button as many times as I have opened PDF’s.  Is there a way to open the PDFs in the client but not have the containing folder written to the back history?
    Monday, December 16, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please include links to the web pages that you are having issues with your questions.

thx.

Post questions about html, css and scripting for website developers to the IE Web Development forum with a link to your website.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hi Rob,  Sorry for delay in responding.

I am quite disillusioned with SharePoint/IE/etc. at the moment.  I know that when I open the PDFs from SharePoint that an entry is being added to the back history but know of no way of identifying whether that is SharePoint, HTML, IE, scripting, Adobe Reader or something else..

This is on an internal Sharepoint website so I can't provide links.

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

don't use a hyperlink element to link to your PDF documents. Clicking a hyperlink adds an entry to the travel log. If you choose the "Save target as" context menu for a resource link, no travel log entry is created.

eg. <a href="path/pdfdocument.pdf">pdfdocument</a>

use a button element instead.

<button type="button" onclick="download.aspx?pdfdocument.pdf">Download pdfdocument</button>

(note: !important specify type="button" otherwise the button element defaults to type="submit" which triggers form.submit which may raise a navigation and travel log events).

PDF documents are opened by ActiveX addons in MSIE browsers.. (Adobe PDF Reader)

Outcomes for embedded pdf documents vary depending on your security zone settings, addons settings or PDF Reader settings and version).. For consistent behavior force the download of the pdf document.

if downloading from a https uri the "Do not save secure content to disk" option on the advanced tab of Internet Options must be unchecked (default)... if you have a server side download manager, then there is no need to use a https uri.

Rob^_^

Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:26 AM
  • I have to click the back button as many times as I have opened PDF’s.

Alternatively, use the Browser history instead of the Back button.  Right-click on the Back button or View Go to (Alt-V G) gives you a limited but easily accessible list.  But  History, View By Order Visited Today (Ctrl-Shift-H) should give you a more complete, very usable list.

BTW why do you need to go "back" anyway?  If you know that you eventually want to return to a page from one of its links open the link in a new tab (e.g. Middle-click on it).  Then to go back all you need to do is close the new tab.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Rob,  Thanks for your reply which is very informative.  Unfortunately, the source application is SharePoint and I have little or no control over whether a hyperlink or button is used.  However, you have identified that the problem is likely how Sharepoint operates rather than IE per se.

We have forced the opening of PDFs to download but it still adds an entry to the History...

JohnM

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Hi Robert,  Thanks for your reply.  This is for end users rather than myself so simple solutions are required. Training would be required to explain middle click, Ctrl + click, right click, etc.!  

Clicking the PDF link opens in the Adobe client AND adds to the History - so they will close the client (similar to closing the tab). Other navigation options are available but, once in a folder (for example), and having selected a number of documents that open in a client, I would have thought the back button would reflect the folder not the client links...

It looks like the issue is with the application SharePoint, rather than the environment IE.  I'll try the SharePoint forum...

JohnM

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:21 PM