none
Computer Naming Convention RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to automatically attach a hidden prefix to the name you choose for the PC in MDT. At my company, we have multiple sites and would like to attach a three letter prefix to each pc when imaged.

For example, at our Corporate site, add CHQ- (without typing it in the box).

If this isn't clear enough, please ask. Thank You

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:07 PM

Answers

• the computername you type in the wizard is stored in an MDT variable (OSDComputername).

You can set that variable in your task sequence. You might need a simple script to change it that detects whether a user already specified the prefix to avoid CHQ-CHQ-Hostname.

I would also like to warn for overautomation of such things. This can as well be handled by prestaging the computers and/or by having clear procedures on the names that have to be used.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:13 PM

All replies

• the computername you type in the wizard is stored in an MDT variable (OSDComputername).

You can set that variable in your task sequence. You might need a simple script to change it that detects whether a user already specified the prefix to avoid CHQ-CHQ-Hostname.

I would also like to warn for overautomation of such things. This can as well be handled by prestaging the computers and/or by having clear procedures on the names that have to be used.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Please visit this site. It has helped me a lot with custom names, etc...

http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=3933

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:04 PM