Caddying a Hard drive with a Vista OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue whereby if I were to take out a hard drive from a current laptop with Microsoft Windows Vista installed and plug it into another system with Microsoft Windows Vista installed via USB caddy, I get a winload.exe error when I place the hard drive back into the original system.

Note this only happens when both hard drives were imaged using Symantec Ghost.

Is there a work around in regards to this issue? Or is there a way to fix it?

I've been reading up on the internet and it seems it has something to do with the drive signature and BCD. I'm thinking it's because Vista thinks the two drives have the same drive signature and therefore changes the external HDD drive signature and since the BCD did not get updated, I would get the winload.exe error.

If someone can help me that would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:18 PM

Answers

• Found out what the problem was and I hope this answer will help other users.

I was doing a disk restore and I figured out why I was getting the error. It was because I had used the -fdsp switch for my restore.

Once I took out that switch everything ghosted fine.

What I believe happened was that I was using the -fdsp switch all this time for Windows XP but Windows XP didn't rely on the disk signature for it's bootmanager while Windows Vista did.

Once I stick the caddy drive into another system which was using the same image, there were two of the same disk signatures in one system and therefore Vista changed the disk signature of the caddy drive causing the winload.exe error once the drive was put back into the original system.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Friday, February 29, 2008 1:45 PM

All replies

•  

So no one has this problem?

It seems to me it's GHOST with Vista?

What kind of switches do you guys use to upload and restore an image?

I'm currently using GSS 2.0.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

As this is releated to third party software, we recommend to contact Symantec manufaturer for more information.

http://www.symantec.com/partners/index.jsp

Thank you for understanding, and I hope the problem will be fixed soon!

Friday, February 29, 2008 7:33 AM
  • Found out what the problem was and I hope this answer will help other users.

I was doing a disk restore and I figured out why I was getting the error. It was because I had used the -fdsp switch for my restore.

Once I took out that switch everything ghosted fine.

What I believe happened was that I was using the -fdsp switch all this time for Windows XP but Windows XP didn't rely on the disk signature for it's bootmanager while Windows Vista did.

Once I stick the caddy drive into another system which was using the same image, there were two of the same disk signatures in one system and therefore Vista changed the disk signature of the caddy drive causing the winload.exe error once the drive was put back into the original system.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Friday, February 29, 2008 1:45 PM