Expanded Desk -unable to save settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have an expanded desktop with 2 monitors, have had no issues until now, one monitor stopped working, the monitor is detected and I can duplicate the display, but cant expand the display, when I try to save the settings, I get error message "Unable to save settings"
    Monday, November 16, 2015 4:42 PM

Answers

• This is exclusively a function of your video adapter and the video drivers.  It is not a Windows function, but in all likelihood it is a result of having one defective monitor and the driver is not able to save your settings because of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:47 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Since this is very recent System Restore might be an option.

If not, I suggest testing in another user profile.  That error message implies an inability to update the registry which is sometimes a corrupt profile problem.   Also, you might try reinstalling the video driver

I respectfully disagree with "Rick Dee" since both monitors do work and it appears that the problem is a Windows issue in being unable to save the settings. 

BTW, the term in extended, not expanded, desktop.

• Edited by GTS-NJ Monday, November 16, 2015 9:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:48 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 9:27 PM

All replies

• This is exclusively a function of your video adapter and the video drivers.  It is not a Windows function, but in all likelihood it is a result of having one defective monitor and the driver is not able to save your settings because of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:47 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Since this is very recent System Restore might be an option.

If not, I suggest testing in another user profile.  That error message implies an inability to update the registry which is sometimes a corrupt profile problem.   Also, you might try reinstalling the video driver

I respectfully disagree with "Rick Dee" since both monitors do work and it appears that the problem is a Windows issue in being unable to save the settings. 

BTW, the term in extended, not expanded, desktop.

• Edited by GTS-NJ Monday, November 16, 2015 9:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:48 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 9:27 PM