gadgets disappear with time, then add gadgets dialog won't come RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7, Professional, 64

Desktop gadgets, loaded & working fine.

A week or two later, calendar gadget not there when system starts. Add gadget puts it back.

Other gadgets ok (Clock, Weather*2, Volume, Gmail, CPU tacho, cores & RAM Monitor)

A few days later, some other gadgets not there. (Lost 1 CPU monitor) Others ok.

Add gadget dialog will not come up. [right click gadget, nor via control panel]

Found comments on another thread about UAC & such, but no changes. UAC is not off. Other gadgets are fine (so far).

Seems I'm on a downhill slide here. Lost & bewildered. Any hints?

Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Nanren888,

Did the issue first occur after installing some software or changing some settings?

Please first access Clean Boot to see if it is caused by certain third party software or service. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, run System File Checker by the steps below:

1.     Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2.     Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.     At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

What is the result? If the issue still exists, reinstall the gadgets:

1.     Go to Start, click Control Panel.

2.     Click Programs and Features.

3.     Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane.

4.     Uncheck "Windows Gadgets Platform".

5.     Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

6.     Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Gadgets Platform".

7.     Restart.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, April 2, 2010 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Nanren888,

Did the issue first occur after installing some software or changing some settings?

Please first access Clean Boot to see if it is caused by certain third party software or service. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, run System File Checker by the steps below:

1.     Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2.     Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.     At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

What is the result? If the issue still exists, reinstall the gadgets:

1.     Go to Start, click Control Panel.

2.     Click Programs and Features.

3.     Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane.

4.     Uncheck "Windows Gadgets Platform".

5.     Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

6.     Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Gadgets Platform".

7.     Restart.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, April 2, 2010 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Linda,

Many thanks for a clear response.

Clean boot:

with only Microsoft services: Add gadget dialog now accessible. All gadgets available, Calendar gadget does not persist past reboot. ???

Reinstate other services: Same, all but calendar gadget.

Reinstate startup items: Same, all but calendar gadget.

So, back to initial state & now add gadget dialog is available again: ???

Well, whatever the reason: Many thanks.

sfc ==> No issues

Disable gadget feature: All gadgets gone, reboot

Enable gadgets: add gadgets dialog available.

Ok, so a little mystified about the route & why calendar resists now, when not before, but I have the add gadgets dialog back & I have the calendar back as often as I can be bothered. Likely as good as I can expect from here.

So many thanks.

Helped: Yes.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Glad to hear the issue has been resolved! J

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:30 AM
  • I occasionally have this same exact issue and have actually found the best solution is to simply restart the "sidebar.exe" process:

1. Right click on the task bar and select Start Task Manager.
    2. Go to the Processes tab.
    3. Find "sidebar.exe", select it, and click on the End Process button. Click End Process on the popup that appears.
    4. Go to the File menu in Task Manager and select New Task (Run...).
    5. Enter "sidebar.exe" and hit "OK" to start the sidebar back up.

All my gadgets come back up every time, including the ones that had disappeared, and I can now open the Gadgets dialog.

Hope that helps!

• Proposed as answer by cheryl624 Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:44 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:32 PM
  • This helped me! Thanks Pougan!
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:46 PM
  • I also had this problem with 1 or 2 gadgets disappearing.

I tried the tip above from Pougan, ending & restarting the sidebar.exe process, and it worked.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Wow thanks a lot! that was extremely helpful and not at all complicated. Curious about this too; I have a Toshiba Satellite and it is extreeemly sensetive to movement. For example, if i have it on my bed and am watching something on VLC player or WMP it makes an "ehh" sound like (ehh, you're wrong), the screen freezes for a second and then it takes a few seconds for the screen to clear up. Do you think I have a lemon computer or is this just how these computers are?
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:25 AM
  • That seemed too easy, but it worked!

Thank you.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 4:15 PM