Windows Server 2016 RTM show Preview in ADUC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody.

I just installed the RTM bits from the MS trial, but when I promote the server to a DC ADUC shows that the domain is running "Windows Server Technical Preview".

Anyone else tried this?

/Kasper

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Kasper,

Thanks for your post.

If possible, could you please also post the screenshot?

For now, the server 2016 still not released officially, we still couldn't get much information from the Microsoft officially. And since the limit of the resource, I'm sorry we couldn't do the test in Our lab for you to confirm the issue. I'm afraid we may still need to wait for the official statement from Microsoft.

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mary Dong Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:47 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hey Mary, Windows 2016 Server IS RELEASED. The eval is available to download.

Also what happened to Microsoft Edge in Windows 2016 Server Release version?

We installed the eval with no problem but NO Microsoft Edge Browser in the Release Version of Windows 2016 Server.

The Technical Previews had Microsoft Edge; all of the them did.

So can  you respond to these issues since the Release has been made?

Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:42 PM
  • What Mary meant by 'is not released' is that Retail/Volume License/MSDN media is not available.  Only the evaluation copy is available.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:05 PM
  • She said Not released...we can read can you?

So it is released.

Hope someone that works for Microsoft knows what they are talking about.

Hard to say nowadays since so many don't have a clue on what they are doing.

Eval is a release it is not a Technical Preview, Alpha, Beta or other.

Our question is simple and with the 1000"s of MS employees someone should have the

answer why Microsoft Edge is not included in the Release of Windows 2016 Server.

We say again: It was included in all the previews.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Was just in a session at Microsoft Ignite where one of the Windows product managers mentioned that Edge had been removed.  No explanation, just the statement.

So, it appears they are quite aware of it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Hi Kasper,

And download the current version of server 2016 to have the test

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

I could only say that in my test lab, it also shows "Windows Server Technical Preview" as your description. For now,as Tim said,  I couldn't find more explanation from Microsoft about this. Maybe we still need to wait for a time.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mary Dong Friday, September 30, 2016 7:46 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Would be nice to know why, since it was in all the previews.

Edge was deemed the New MS Browser better than all others.

Yes, no big deal since this is a Server OS but would be nice to know why the decision to remove Edge was made.

Maybe Edge will not turn out as hoped.

We agree with the other poster than when Windows 2016 Server Datacenter is promoted to a DC, it then shows Technical Preview in Server Manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably some old code left that was not changed when the last preview went to release.

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Hi everybody.

I just installed the RTM bits from the MS trial, but when I promote the server to a DC ADUC shows that the domain is running "Windows Server Technical Preview".

Anyone else tried this?

/Kasper

If you add \ promote a server to a DC in a domain, that domain already has a Active Directory Functional Level and that does not change promoting a newer OS server in that domain. So do you mean the functional level shows TP still?

If you find the computer account for the DC in ADUC and look at the operating system what does that show?

Saturday, October 1, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Hi Kasper,

And download the current version of server 2016 to have the test

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

I could only say that in my test lab, it also shows "Windows Server Technical Preview" as your description. For now,as Tim said,  I couldn't find more explanation from Microsoft about this. Maybe we still need to wait for a time.

Best Regards,

Mary

Also the same, but appears to be an error with Server Manager to me as if I carry and create and domain it shows a Server 2016 level.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi DajLarry,

Also keep testing in my lab.  I install the updates in my test server 2016. It includes a serious of updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192366

And then do the dc pro. It seems works now.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Proposed as answer by KasperBC Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by KasperBC Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:11 AM
    • Proposed as answer by KasperBC Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:12 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 1:35 AM
  • Hi Mary, Thank you for the new information. We will give this a try after doing the updates.

Regards,

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:17 PM
  • After installing available updates it also seems to work at my end.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:07 AM
  • The OP asked about ADUC - Active Directory Users and Computers, did not mention Server Manager. So an interesting second issue found and answered, but not the answer to the OP's question.
    • Edited by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:34 PM