Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. RRS feed

• Question

• When I first opened Outlook after buying it I tried setting up my own email and epicaly failing and now everytime I open it up it will automatically say: The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

I then press ok and it opens another window asking for the Microsoft Exchange Server as well as Mailbox which you fill in. When I try add something it keeps saying "Can not open your default email folder. The file C: /users/Nicole/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/PrivateFolders.ost is not an outlook data file.

What does this all mean? I have Windows 10 and Outlook 2010 on my laptop.

I can't find how to delete my profile.

It asks Microsoft exchange server and mailbox also.

Can someone help me to fix this problems.

Kind Regards

Indrajith

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This error occurs for one of two reasons:

• Your .OST file, aka your offline Outlook Data File, has become corrupted and needs to be repaired/replaced.
    • You’re running Outlook in “Compatibility Mode”.

You can rebuilding your .OST file. Delete the profile in the Windows Control Panel ->mail(32)->show profile->remove, then you can re-create a new profile and check the results.

Turning off compatibility mode as below:

If it’s possible you can run the command IIS reset in EMS.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you are getting fail to connect to your Outlook account through Exchange Server. 

Have you checked network connectivity or is there any fault in your network resources ?

As second cause, this type of issue appears if there any incorrect profile configuration in Outlook

Besides, I recommend you to go through below procedures - 

1. Check Whether Office Outlook Files are locked
    2. Check about interference of other applications and remove it if exist
    3. Repair Outlook data file if you have analyzed corrupt OST data file
    4. Modify the Registry 

Still facing trouble to fix issue?
    If yes, then go through this blog to understand all procedures in brief.

http://www.emaildoctor.org/blog/exchange-server-is-unavailable-error/

Hope it will help you !!
    Cheers !!
    • Edited by aliceaggie Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:50 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:50 AM