none
Host Integration Server 2010 requirement RRS feed

• Question

• When we configure the HIS 2010...does visual studio has to be installed prior to installing the HIS 2010 ?????
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• The HIS 2010 Insallation_Guide.htm lists the features that require Visual Studio:

Feature

Requirement

Developer Design Tools (Transaction Integrator, Host Files, Host Data
    Conversion)

Visual Studio® 2008 SP1 (with C++ and C#) or Visual Studio 2010 (with C++ and
    C#)

Developer Design Tools (Message Queue)

Visual Studio 2010 (with C++ and C#)

These features are not typically used on production HIS Servers. They are usually used on HIS systems used by developers.

If these features are used, then Visual Studio would need to be installed before HIS. If the HIS setup program detects that a pre-requisite is not installed, the feature that requires the pre-requisite would not be available for installation.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Friday, April 27, 2012 4:35 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:58 AM
  • Nick,

1) I you want to use the Developer Tools, you need to install first Visual Studio 2010 otherwise the Developer Tools will not be installed. In that case only the HIS Runtime will be installed. In case you install Visual Studio 2010 after HIS 2010, you only need to rerun the HIS Setup and add the Developer Tools Features ! HIS 2010 needs the .Net Framework and the C++ Runtime. These 2 absolute requirements must be installed before installing HIS 2010.

2) As I know you only need the .Net Framework and the C++ Runtime (not the complete visual studio 2010). VB.Net is support as a client application.

In your case, you would like to write a VB.NET application that calls CICS Transactions on the Mainframe through Host Integration Server => This works :-) !!!

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Friday, April 27, 2012 4:34 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 5:39 AM
  • The BizTalk Adapters will be installed if BizTalk Server is installed on the system. They are not needed unless you will be using BizTalk Server and want to make use of one of these adapters.

HIS 2010 uses a simplified setup design. The simplified setup installs all features listed under the Server or Client component. It does not allow you to customize the installation by installing only those features that you want to use. Features are not installed if their prerequisites are not installed on the system. 

Based on the simplified Setup, the BizTalk Adapters will not be installed if BizTalk Server is not installed on the system. If BizTalk Server is installed, the Adapters will be installed even if you don't want to use them. All of the HIS features are installed assuming the Pre-Reqs are installed.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:24 PM

All replies

• The HIS 2010 Insallation_Guide.htm lists the features that require Visual Studio:

Feature

Requirement

Developer Design Tools (Transaction Integrator, Host Files, Host Data
    Conversion)

Visual Studio® 2008 SP1 (with C++ and C#) or Visual Studio 2010 (with C++ and
    C#)

Developer Design Tools (Message Queue)

Visual Studio 2010 (with C++ and C#)

These features are not typically used on production HIS Servers. They are usually used on HIS systems used by developers.

If these features are used, then Visual Studio would need to be installed before HIS. If the HIS setup program detects that a pre-requisite is not installed, the feature that requires the pre-requisite would not be available for installation.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Friday, April 27, 2012 4:35 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:58 AM
  • Stephen,

1> if i have the HIS 2010 isntalled first and then if i install Visual Studio , .NET frame work and IIS ..then does that should work or not???

2> Why does the pre-requisites says it needs visual studio with c++ and C#.........doen't VB.NET supported here???

Thanks,

Nick

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Nick,

1) I you want to use the Developer Tools, you need to install first Visual Studio 2010 otherwise the Developer Tools will not be installed. In that case only the HIS Runtime will be installed. In case you install Visual Studio 2010 after HIS 2010, you only need to rerun the HIS Setup and add the Developer Tools Features ! HIS 2010 needs the .Net Framework and the C++ Runtime. These 2 absolute requirements must be installed before installing HIS 2010.

2) As I know you only need the .Net Framework and the C++ Runtime (not the complete visual studio 2010). VB.Net is support as a client application.

In your case, you would like to write a VB.NET application that calls CICS Transactions on the Mainframe through Host Integration Server => This works :-) !!!

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Steve..thanks for the update.

In this scenario...do i need to install Biztalk Adapters for Host Applications ??? or those Adapter are only require if we have existing Biztalk applications to talk to HIS 2010??

Thanks,

Nick

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:32 PM
  • The BizTalk Adapters will be installed if BizTalk Server is installed on the system. They are not needed unless you will be using BizTalk Server and want to make use of one of these adapters.

HIS 2010 uses a simplified setup design. The simplified setup installs all features listed under the Server or Client component. It does not allow you to customize the installation by installing only those features that you want to use. Features are not installed if their prerequisites are not installed on the system. 

Based on the simplified Setup, the BizTalk Adapters will not be installed if BizTalk Server is not installed on the system. If BizTalk Server is installed, the Adapters will be installed even if you don't want to use them. All of the HIS features are installed assuming the Pre-Reqs are installed.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:24 PM