none
Backup metadata enumeration failed (started after windows updates) RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since windows updates last week we have been getting this message in DPM.  I have tried removing/installing the agents, updating to the newest CU, recreating the protection groups, re-registering the vss write, remove 12 keys from the registry and nothing seems to help.  The logs aren't very clear about which errors I should concentrate on and which I should ignore.  Any other ideas?

This is DPM 2012 on Server 2008R2 with SQL2008R2 (CU 3) backing up SharePoint 2010 on Server 2008R2 with SQL2008R2 (14.0.0.6126) and its two different farms with the same issue (this is all this DPM server does). Backups and restores seem to work from before this started and it appears to have been triggered by this months Windows Updates.  We are not using SQL aliases either.

DPM could not obtain backup metadata information for SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\sharepointdb\SharePoint_Config. If the data source is a SharePoint farm then a valid recovery point has been created. However, content databases from this recovery point can be recovered using the alternate location option only. (ID 3134)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:31 PM

Answers

• This problem is now resolved.  It has to do with KB2506143 which is a WMI update deployed during 12/12 patch tuesday.  This affects WMI if you are also using System Configuration Manager 2012 in your environment because it will reinstall the client each night and rebuild WMI which breaks DPM (among other things).  You need to install SP1 of DPM/System Center or register the sql classes and then implement the fix in this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796086.

• Marked as answer by jasonkuter Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First reinitialize the Sharepoint VSS on one of your front-end webservers for your SharePoint farm. Please use an account that is a member of the SharePoint Farm admin and refresh the DPM agent.

Please post information regarding your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:23 AM
  • I have already tried that and yesterday I did it again:

1) Uninstall/reinstall dpm agent

2) reinitialize sharepoint vss writer

3) run sharepoint technologies wizard

4) Install CU3 of DPM

5) Recreate protection group

6) Rerun configuresahrepoint

I have tried various orders and combinations, nothing works.  There are SQL Alias exceptions in the cmdlets log but we don't use sqlaliases and the dpm aliases command returns nothing.  The other cmdlet log error is:

Exception Message   =
    27FC 1484 12/21 10:31:40.263 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1270)   WARNING Column 'Title' does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi Jason,

This could be a WMI issue on the SQL server hosting the content DB's.

If you look in the WssCmdletWrapper.errlog on the Sharepoint Web front end server do you see similar errors.

<snip>
    1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.615 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1284) WARNING System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid class
    1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.615 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1284) WARNING at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.615 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1284) WARNING at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
    1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.615 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1284) WARNING at WSSCmdlets.WssSqlAliasHelper.InitializeSqlAliasAndServerNameMappings()
    1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.630 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1285) WARNING Exception String = 1264 0FF0 02/13 20:46:36.630 31 WSSCmdlets.cs(1285) WARNING System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WSSCmdlets.WssSqlAliasHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid class
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:14 PM
  • I have seen these errors before as well as errors regarding wmi in other locations (sql configuration manager).  How might I go about repairing the windows management instrumentation on these machines?
    • Edited by jasonkuter Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

If you have those errors, the you can fix it by following these steps.

On the SQL Server,  run mofcomp.exe to re-compile a SQL .mof template to re-add the classes to WMI.

For SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2, from an administrative command prompt run the following command:

C:\>mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
    Microsoft (R) MOF
    Compiler Version 6.1.7600.16385
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All
    rights reserved.
    Parsing MOF file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof
    MOF file has
    been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    Done!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:19 PM
  • I have registered that class many times because it seems to be unregistering itself after a while.  After I run it I can run sql config manager without an issue but after some time it usually breaks again.  This all started after the patch tuesday updates and I'm fairly sure that is the only thing to have changed in our environment lately.  I have also never run into this wmi thing before so I am not sure what else to try.  I just checked the db server and it did need to have this command run again.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:24 PM
  • This problem is now resolved.  It has to do with KB2506143 which is a WMI update deployed during 12/12 patch tuesday.  This affects WMI if you are also using System Configuration Manager 2012 in your environment because it will reinstall the client each night and rebuild WMI which breaks DPM (among other things).  You need to install SP1 of DPM/System Center or register the sql classes and then implement the fix in this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796086.

• Marked as answer by jasonkuter Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for sharing that cause / resolution with the group.

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:07 PM