none
after USMT loadstate, computers (win10 ) won't shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• So after running a USMT loadstate our laptop won't shut down at all, they will log the user off and go back to the login screen. Windows 10 1607 Education.

If I run another loadstate with another profile (scanstate from a desktop) the shut down is ok.

(I was able to shutdown properly the laptop prior of running the loadstate, I didn't run every tests possible but enough to make sure that's a consistent behavior.)
    Unfortunately the computers on which the scanstate were done were re imaged so I don't have access to them anymore.

USMT files are coming from MDT2013 update 2, stored in a UNC path and ran from an sccm 1610 task sequence.

any clue or suggestion? I'm at loss here thanks

Friday, May 12, 2017 3:03 PM

Answers

• So in the end I had to create a config.xml file and disable most of the stuff here (migrate="no") , was hoping not having to do it but well.... when using this file in the loadstate the problem doesn't seem to show up anymore, machine is able to shutdown and airplane mode is not activated automatically.

thanks!

• Marked as answer by ersatyle Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:53 PM

All replies

• USMT doesn't just backup and restore user data but also settings. It might be restoring a registry or local policy setting. Run gpedit.msc and make sure shutdown isn't restricted. At worst you could extract all the data from the MIG file and manually restore their files.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, May 12, 2017 5:31 PM
  • thanks for your reply, it's probably a registry somewhere but I'm not able to find it.
    the files are not compressed but I'm not sure how I can see which registry key are imported?

any guidance on how to exclude system settings from restoring when it's already captured?

thanks
    Monday, May 15, 2017 4:32 PM
  • I've never tried this, but you could try changing the loadstate switch to include /i:miguser.xml

and not specify the other xml templates. That might just import the user data only. But again I've never tried doing it like that.

You could otherwise use usmtutils.exe to extract the data. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-utilities

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:32 PM
  • So in the end I had to create a config.xml file and disable most of the stuff here (migrate="no") , was hoping not having to do it but well.... when using this file in the loadstate the problem doesn't seem to show up anymore, machine is able to shutdown and airplane mode is not activated automatically.

thanks!

• Marked as answer by ersatyle Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:53 PM
  • I had the exact same issue with some of our machines. 
    Turned out to be some DumpFilters that were being added to the registry during USMT restore. For me it was ephdvdmp.sys. 

Anyways, check out this article. It fixed the issue for me, and now the computers shut down properly with Fast Startup still enabled. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3211190/fast-startup-causes-hibernation-or-shutdown-to-fail-in-windows-10-or-8.1

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Hello guys!

Can you help me? I have a problem with migration profile form W7 to W10 with USMT. I would like to migrate another account under my account. The user's account does not exist before migration on new PC, and after migration "Shutdown" in start menu does not work.

Why can this happen?

Thanks

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:54 AM