Installation of Vista SP1 32bit on a new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make a clean install on a new hard drive with the Dell install CD and get the error code 0x80070017 when the install process starts and cannot expand files.  Can anyone give me a workable solution?  One thing to note is that when booting the Insprion 1525 indicates that boot manager is missing.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The error code 0x80070017 or a File Copy error appear during the Windows Vista installation can usually be caused by the following factors:

1.   Defective, damaged or invalid installation media.

2.   Software, such as antivirus or other filter drivers, interfering with file i/o to the media.

To resolve these issues, use these recommendations:

1.  Verify that the installation media is legitimate hologram media. If it is an OEM Windows Vista disk, please contact OEM for detailed directions about how to install Windows Vista.

2.  Format the drive and install Windows Vista.

4.  Replace possible defective DVD media.

5.  Copy the installation files from the Windows Vista disk to the local hard drive and install Windows Vista using the installation files on the local hard drive.

7.  Upgrade the firmware on ROM drive or use another DVD ROM.

8.  Check disk (use chkdsk) to find and fix possible disk errors.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:16 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:42 AM